none
Banking password on Subscription renewal RRS feed

• Question

• I went to renew my Visual Studio Subscription and I was absolutely SHOCKED, that Microsoft has employed a payment service that is asking for my Banking Login and PASSWORD!!

I am absolutely aghast!!!

Microsoft, who for decades now has been yelling from the roof top the virtues of security and the put in place bio-metric security devices is now asking Australian Developers to use a payment service that violates a core principle of security:

don't ask user for a third party Login and Password 

I would like to know how else I can pay my VS subscription

I have a Credit Card method and PayPal method on my account

I am not provided a way of selected either of these.

I will NOT be providing a third party nor Microsoft with my banking Login and Password

Here is an article( dated but still good advice)

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/banks-concerned-over-poli-security-326827

If Microsoft cannot provide an alternative payment method (e.g.PayPal), then I will not purchase a VS Subscription

Greg Frazer

• Edited by GregJF Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:34 PM Add article link
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:32 PM

Answers

• On review 

I did find a way to change the payment method

But that third party method is the default, not the method I always use with Microsoft

May be make the first (preferred) account the default.

Also make the change method button larger

• Marked as answer by GregJF Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:41 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:41 PM

All replies

• I am shocked that you burden the people trying to help you (there are many people here that are not Microsoft representatives that sincerely try to help) with a rant. You should be considerate enough to make this a discussion, not a question.

Also, consider the possibility that you are inexperienced with the way that online transactions are done.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:40 PM
  • On review 

I did find a way to change the payment method

But that third party method is the default, not the method I always use with Microsoft

May be make the first (preferred) account the default.

Also make the change method button larger

• Marked as answer by GregJF Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:41 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:41 PM
  • Sam

I am shocked that you are shocked, Not by the content of my post but by the fact that I dare to voice a complaint!!

'Tis still a free country where voices are allowed to complain (applies to my country : Australia and hopefully yours)

BTW, the button on the top of this  forum  doesn't say "start a discussion". It says 'Ask a question'

And I had a question:

"I would like to know how else I can pay my VS subscription"

Sam I have been doing online transactions weekly since 1993, that is before the World Wide Web. when only the internet existed.

Experience has nought to do with security

• Edited by GregJF Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:55 PM Clarity
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:48 PM
  • Well I am confident you got the point. There are many non-Microsoft personnel that are likely to read posts before a Microsoft representative does. I hope in the future you are more considerate. And yes, I reflected the attitude back to you.

You are probably not familiar with the practice of redirecting to a bank or PayPal's site or something like that for transactions. It is commonly done by sites offering use of PayPal. Consider the probability that Microsoft is not getting the sensitive data you express concern about.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, September 29, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Sam

For starters I don't hide my complaints. They are there for all to see. It's called "openness".

I put the complaint in a succinct manner. To the point and direct. There ought to be more of that!

I am more that aware of how banking transactions work on the Internet. The fact that I am trying to renew a subscription to a tool that is used by developers may give you a hint that I am such a developer and have been for 37 years (that before Visual studio was created).

What astounds me is that you think that the way PayPal works is the same as another payment service asking for my banking Login and PASSWORD!!

Paypal has never done that!!

At no time did I suggest, consider nor state that "Microsoft is not getting the sensitive data"

Furthermore my complaint stills stands:

Microsoft should not be using a payment service that requests users Banking Login and Password!

And they should not make it the default payment method when the account holder has other payment methods

• Edited by GregJF Monday, September 30, 2019 12:09 AM grammer
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 11:58 PM
  • For starters I don't hide my complaints. They are there for all to see. It's called "openness".

There is a difference between constructive criticism and rants.

I put the complaint in a succinct manner. To the point and direct. There ought to be more of that!

There ought to be less negativity in the world, especially when the criticism is misinformed.

I am more that aware of how banking transactions work on the Internet. The fact that I am trying to renew a subscription to a tool that is used by developers may give you a hint that I am such a developer and have been for 37 years (that before Visual studio was created).

And I still could have begun programming before you were born.

What astounds me is that you think that the way PayPal works is the same as another payment service asking for my banking Login and PASSWORD!!

Paypal has never done that!!

That is where you are misinformed.

At no time did I suggest, consider nor state that "Microsoft is not getting the sensitive data"

I think you have things twisted. I think you meant to say the opposite of what you said here. If so then you are not using the intelligence you have.

From here it is highly unlikely we can make productive progress. I will let you have the last word. Do not misinterpret a lack of response as anything other than the mature response. In fact, I will just unsubscribe from this thread and won't see any response. I assume you will call me an idiot, that is a common response in situations such as this where the person has nothing useful to say.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:05 AM
  • Sam

You are the one ranting here.

My complaint, not criticism, was directed to Microsoft for employing such an insecure Payment provider.

I gave evidence (the link ) where financial companies in 2 countries (Australia and New Zealand) were warning against this type of payment provider.

I just don't see why you think you need to get involved in this and to continue to make small irrelevant points.

It is good to see you on your way.

I don't do name calling. I stick to the facts.

Monday, September 30, 2019 6:25 AM