none
Needing info on SQL Database managed instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to explore SQL Database managed instance with my msdn subscription. I think every month i get $200 in my azure account but it is not sufficient to rent a SQL Database managed instance with minimal configuration for a month. 

My question is how SQL Database managed instance is billed ? If i launch managed instance, do I need to necessarily have to have full month rental or i can use it and pay according to the usage.

Appreciate your help. Thank you. 

Thursday, January 2, 2020 8:58 AM

Answers

• Actually I wanted to know if I can created managed instance with $200 in my account.

Yes, you can create it with $200 balance in your account. Please try it.

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Thursday, January 2, 2020 12:15 PM

All replies

• Its sufficient and very very much sufficient. I have played a lot with MI and what you need to do is drop a mail to azure support to let you create MI in region of your choice. US east is cheapest of all IIRC. Let me know if you face difficulty
    Thursday, January 2, 2020 9:34 AM
  • My question is how SQL Database managed instance is billed ? If i launch managed instance, do I need to necessarily have to have full month rental or i can use it and pay according to the usage.

To find out the Monthly estimate, use pricing calculator, search for Azure SQL Database product, add it and use Managed Instance from drop down. 

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/calculator/

You will have to keep an eye on the spending limit. 

- Vaibhav

Thursday, January 2, 2020 9:40 AM
  • My question is how SQL Database managed instance is billed ? If i launch managed instance, do I need to necessarily have to have full month rental or i can use it and pay according to the usage.

To find out the Monthly estimate, use pricing calculator, search for Azure SQL Database product, add it and use Managed Instance from drop down. 

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/calculator/

You will have to keep an eye on the spending limit. 

- Vaibhav

Thanks for your response !

Actually I wanted to know if I can created managed instance with $200 in my account.

Appreciate your response. 

Thursday, January 2, 2020 11:40 AM
  • Actually I wanted to know if I can created managed instance with $200 in my account.

- Vaibhav

Thursday, January 2, 2020 12:15 PM
  • For a better answer, please use the Azure forums for Azure questions.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/community/

Thursday, January 2, 2020 1:08 PM
  • Hi Anil_Kumar_DBA,

This article introduces the detailed pricing of Azure SQL Database.

Dev/test pricing is available for Visual Studio subscribers looking to run development and testing workloads, individually or as a team. Active Visual Studio subscribers can take advantage of a wide range of discounts when using Azure based on a dev/test offer

in addition your issue is related to Azure SQL database. I also suggest you open a thread in Azure SQL database forums.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 3, 2020 2:54 AM
  • Thank you everyone for your helpful responses !!

Will try creating SQL Managed instance next week and update here.

Friday, January 3, 2020 4:51 AM
  • Hi Anil_Kumar_DBA,

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Looking forward to your update, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your contribution.
    Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 3, 2020 5:18 AM

- Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,

With VS license i got only $40 with my company account. I created a new account and subscribed for one free month Azure services with $200. Then tried creating managed instance in all the regions one by one, every time i was greeted with quota subscription has reached, please raise a support request to increase the quota. 

We submitted a request and got final response saying you can not create Managed instance with free trail and you need to convert your account to 'Pay as you go'. Why to allow submitting support request when Microsoft knows it won't increase the quota for free trail ? It was disappointing for me, however i do respect their business model.....

Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:52 AM
  • Its sufficient and very very much sufficient. I have played a lot with MI and what you need to do is drop a mail to azure support to let you create MI in region of your choice. US east is cheapest of all IIRC. Let me know if you face difficulty

Hello there,

With VS license i got only $40 with my company account. I created a new account and subscribed for one free month Azure services with $200. Then tried creating managed instance in all the regions one by one, every time i was greeted with quota subscription has reached, please raise a support request to increase the quota. 

We submitted a request and got final response saying you can not create Managed instance with free trail and you need to convert your account to 'Pay as you go'. Why to allow submitting support request when Microsoft knows it won't increase the quota for free trail ? It was disappointing for me, however i do respect their business model....

Friday, January 17, 2020 4:27 AM