Return of Silverlight but with a slight twist and it's not called Silverlight. RRS feed

• General discussion

• From a reliable source within MS, I heard that Silverlight is being brought back but might not be called "Silverlight" ... however existing SL applications will auto update/convert to this new technology in VS 2014 (just open the project/solution) ... ETA is obviously sometime in 2014 and not targeted for VS 2013.

Key implementation details is that it will not run as an "Add-On" ... however it will require HTML5 browsers.  Guessing it's shifted to something like an ASPX implementation with a twist?

Should be interesting if it's real.  Perhaps things are indeed changing for the better at Microsoft?

Rob

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:00 PM

All replies

• There's been a lot of discussion lately around web standards and HTML 5 in particular. People have been asking us how Silverlight fits into a future world where the <video> tag is available to developers. In the following article show the future of the Silverlight.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/silverlight/archive/2010/09/01/the-future-of-silverlight.aspx

Any way, the change will make the user more convenience.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:34 AM
  • What is the future of silverlight web apps  on android devices..is it possible..or need to switch the technology to make application accessible on all platforms
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:40 AM
  • would be awesome if it could magically convert SL to HTML5 with all bells and whistles, but I doubt it. They'd need to have a CLR-to-JavaScript compiler ready, along with XAML-to-HTML/SVG/Canvas/whatever, there are complex (star-sized) layouts that would probably be very slow etc etc
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:53 PM
  • would be awesome if it could magically convert SL to HTML5 with all bells and whistles, but I doubt it. They'd need to have a CLR-to-JavaScript compiler ready, along with XAML-to-HTML/SVG/Canvas/whatever, there are complex (star-sized) layouts that would probably be very slow etc etc

HTML5 still lacks in some of the features SL5 already has ... specifically SL5 can go outside the Sandbox in OOB with appropriate user security acceptance.  HTML5 can only do limit client resource access, not full (well almost full) access like SL5.  In fact, that's the only reason we're not using HTML5.

Rumor is entry is not JavaScript based at all ... however you will need a "specific browser" (big hint) and this "specific browser" version will be available on Android, iOS, etc. etc. -- leaving the sandbox intact for those companies that don't allow anything other than sandbox (except of course for their own "in-house" software ;)

Stay tuned, it could go "legal" if Apple try to block the app/browser from the app store -- Android obviously will not.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Would be nice if they implement Silverlight support in Metro version of IE (on XBOX too I hope apart from Win8).

Don't need the outside-of-sandbox stuff for the ClipFlair project I'm building (http://studio.clipflair.net), but wonder if an implementation of Silverlight Runtime in Javascript+HTML5 would be possible at all, or if a metacompiler (like Adobe does for Flash to iOS), even a dynamic one that is run under the hood at IIS (and result cached) would be a more logical approach for MS to take. Then there would be no legal issues.

One feature though of Silverlight is dynamic code loading (Apple didn't allow SmallTalk VMs for the same reason on iOS). If that code though comes in Javascript (via automatic conversion at the server), then wonder if Apple would dare to block it. They should block any webpage or at least webbrowser apps in that case. And if they don't block their own webbrowser app, but block other apps that bring and show Javascript+HTML5 dynamically, then they'll have a legal problem

In my opinion they already have a legal problem stopping dynamic binary code [not meaning lowlevel code], since obfuscated and encoded Javascript is almost binary code.

Microsoft MVP J# 2004-2010, Borland Spirit of Delphi 2001

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:18 PM
  • HTML5 still lacks in some of the features SL5 already has ... specifically SL5 can go outside the Sandbox in OOB with appropriate user security acceptance.  HTML5 can only do limit client resource access, not full (well almost full) access like SL5.  In fact, that's the only reason we're not using HTML5.

These features are not always needed. But probably they'd be the reason why a special browser (or perhaps plugin?) is required. All rendering/layout/network requests might be HTML5/JS.

I guess the reason they can't kill Silverlight is because it's already used in some Enterprise/SharePoint scenarios, and here it's no big deal to demand a special browser.

• Edited by herzmeister Friday, October 4, 2013 10:45 AM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 10:09 AM
  • BTW, here is a FLASH->HTML5 converter from Mozilla - http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/

Maybe MS is building something like that for Silverlight?

Microsoft MVP J# 2004-2010, Borland Spirit of Delphi 2001

Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:24 PM
  • From above, "All the bells and whistles of HTML5"???  Who likes programming in javascript better than XAML?  Databinding in XAML is great, not to mention other things.  And what javascript libraries would they use to convert it to?  Are they going to have a list of 100 different ones from you to pick from?

I love Silverlight, but the only reason to use it is for things that HTML/javascript can't do, so why do you want to convert it?  Silverlight is very good for LOB apps that are heavy in printing, scanning and documents and need to use a small version of the .net library.  If it won't work on a Mac or droid or other OS, what's the point. You can just use WPF if you're only doing Windows.

dan

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:14 PM
  • The other thing is that Netflix isn't going to run on pure HTML5.  It needs some sort of browser add on.  Is microsoft just going to put silverlight 6.0 inside IE and just call it an update to IE?

dan

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:06 AM
  • Whatever it does regarding Silverlight, if an announcement is not made this year I'm afraid the domain of RIA is either lost forever or damaged to the point where many of us who have gone through this pain will be thinking 10 times before starting to use the new 'product'. With sluggish initial adoption MS will wonder yet again whether is financially beneficial for the company to continue developing it. It's a hole that's getting deeper and deeper for Microsoft ... and it is only the MS execs who dug this hole, not the so called 'market forces' around the modern web.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:50 AM
  • The whole RIA thing is dumb anyway.  Just use WCF web services so you can use it for other projects.  I also use common libraries and pop up windows that for both WPF and silverlight, you just have to compile it twice and put a few "#IF silverlight or #IF WPFs in.  It's very easy to convert your silverlight to WPF and you can deploy it from the server too.

dan

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Agreed, I never used RIA services, just plain WCF and Silverlight. I just misused the term RIA here to symbolize rich Silverlight apps.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:25 PM
  • From Julie Larson-Greene, effective head of Windows.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-we-arent-going-to-have-three-different-versions-of-windows-7000023593/

My guess is that this means WinRT and Win Phone 8 are on a collision course.

The rumor in the original post floats the idea that one will literally be able to open up a Silverlight app and effectively bring it forward.  Now, it speaks to being able to use it in an HTML5 based browser (which is really exciting of course) - but maybe it's not entirely on point.

I haven't developed in Windows Phone 8, but from what I've read, the Silverlight 5 platform is used to
    develop Windows Phone 8 apps.

Is it not within the realm of possibilities to see perhaps the potential avenue?  Windows 8 Phone subsumes WinRT, and Silverlight becomes your development tool for Windows.  One can dream?

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:34 AM
  • Robin, Anymore words from your source since September?
    • Edited by Ron Frick Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:22 PM
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:15 PM