none
Netflix on Macintosh

General discussion

• I recently am unable to view Netflix on Macintosh:

I get to site and movie loads.  Then will not play.

I can high speed scrub through movie by dragging toolbar, but when I stop image is frozen and won't play.

I have Silverlight 5

I have tried uninstalling and moving to Silverlight 4, but everytime I get message that can't install older version over newer version.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mac OSX 10.7.2

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB

Memory: 12 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:37 PM

All replies

• I don't have a solution but I'm having the exact same issue. The Netflix controls aren't even displayed. It's just a black screen. I tried called Netflix customer service and they advised me to contact MS. I tried but the email service was down yesterday and trying to get help on the phone is like pulling teeth.

I'm on OS X 10.6.8, running Firefox 9.

So far I have tried the following:

• Restarting my browser
    • Restarting my computer
    • Clearing my browser cache and cookies
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight

None of these have worked.

Friday, January 06, 2012 12:48 PM
  • I am a Web developer using Silverlight. Our application doesn't work with Silverlight 5 and Firefox 9 on Mac. In fact, the component doesn't load at all. The space reserved for it on the Web page stays empty. After a while, it asks to "Get Silverlight". After installing it again, same thing. It worked well with previous versions of Firefox, even with Silverlight 5.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:25 PM
  • I switched to Safari for Netflix and it seems to be working fine. Is there any way to get Silverlight 4 back to watch in Firefox?

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:56 AM
  • I switched to Safari for Netflix and it seems to be working fine. Is there any way to get Silverlight 4 back to watch in Firefox?

You need to remove Silverlight 5 runtime first.

Quit any browsers that are currently open or running. 

Open Library - Internet plug-ins

Inside that folder you should see the silverlight 5 plugin. Drag it to the trash can.

Install the Silverlight 4 runtime then. 

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Wish I could say that helped me, but nothing I do worked.

Check thread here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/silverlightgen/thread/7fb97797-5bcd-4fcf-95c5-7b443d3a6426#7fb97797-5bcd-4fcf-95c5-7b443d3a6426/1?Black+Screen+trying+to+watch+Netflix+on+Intel+OS+X+Mac

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:35 PM
  • I too am having a problem with silverlight. Even though I've removed it from my plugins and receipts folders and nothing turns up when I search for it, when I try to install it I get a message that "a newer version already exists". I've been trying to figure this out for two days now, netflix directed me to microsoft tech support who directed me to this forum. I can't install silverlight or use netflix.

I just installed the old version 4 and I had no problems and it works and that's all I freaking care about. 

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:56 PM
  • I feel your pain! I've been fighting with Silverlight ever since I signed up for Netflix's streaming videos. My top of the line Pro Mac was working just fine until Silverlight came along. Now, it's nothing but problems....

In hopes of starting fresh and eliminating any problems and conflicts my computer may inherently have, I wiped my startup drive clean, reinstalled all my software and started over. Yes, I started over with a clean system. But Silverlight is still causing problems.

I can watch videos on other sites and through other applications just fine, but if I want to watch a video on Netflix, I get a message that I have to reinstall Silverlight. Every time I open up my browser and go to the Netflix site, I get a message that I have to reinstall Silverlight. EVERY TIME. Even if I've just installed it, watched a video, then closed the browser... the next time I open up Netflix, I get a message that I need to reinstall Silverlight. Basically, what's happening is that I have to reinstall Silverlight EVERY SINGLE TIME I open Netflix. I've removed and reinstalled Silverlight no fewer than 10 times in the past three days -- on a CLEAN system. And... I've followed the directions provided by Microsoft to uninstall and reinstall Silverlight. There have been two methods described to me involving the removal of various files from my Library, and I've tried both... numerous times. And, to be fair, uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight (using either method) works for as long as that Netflix window is open, but if I close the window and reopen it, I have to reinstall Silverlight. Every time.

Microsoft has been no help whatsoever. They keep trying to pass the blame on to Netflix (as in "we can't control what third party websites do"). Netflix hasn't been helpful, either. All I'm given is instructions on how to install/uninstall Silverlight. That's as far as either party will go. So, if I can't find a fix for this problem, I'll have to drop my Netflix streaming account and hope that Silverlight never raises its ugly head again.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:11 PM
  • I have had the same problem. I have called Netflix they directed me to Microsoft. Microsoft said they have a fix for this and sent me an email link which was no help at all (it was a link to there ask microsoft) called Netflix back they tried to help they searched for 20 minutes trying to help they advised me to call apple. Apple said they cant help due to it being a third party product. And then called microsoft back and told them all of this and this explaned to them how this is there product and they need to try and help. I was then advised that Microsoft really does not have any support for this product and I need to try the forums. I contacted Netflix and got them to alert there research division to contact microsoft about this issue. So hopefully something can be done.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:47 PM
  • So after hours of searching the net I found something that worked for me. Some of this you may have allready done skip those. When I finished I was able download silverlight and watch netflix. Hope this works for you.

To manually uninstall Silverlight please perform the steps outlined below:

1. Quit all open browsers (Firefox/Safari), please ensure that they are completely quit and not just minimized to the Dock by going to the Apple menu and choosing Force Quit, when a browser is still running in the force quit window, force the browser to quit.

2. Click on Go in the top menu in Finder.

3. Choose Computer.

4. Open the hard drive, usually named Macintosh HD.

5. Open the Library.

6. Go to Internet Plug-ins.

7. Drag Silverlight.plugin and WPFe.plugin (when this file is there) to the Trash.

8. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.

9. Open the Application Support folder.

10. Open the Microsoft folder.

11. Move the Silverlight folder if it is there to the trash.

12. Move the PlayReady folder if it is there to the trash as well.

13. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.

14. Open the Receipts folder.

15. Look for the Silverlight.pkg, Silverlight_W2_MIX.pkg and WPFe.pkg files and move them to the trash.

16. If you are using Snow Leopard (10.6), follow these additional steps:

1.      In the Finder, click Go, and then click Go to Folder.
    2.      Type the following text in the Go to the folder box:
    3.      /private/var/db/receipts
    4.      Click Go.
    5.      Drag to the Trash all receipts that start with "com.microsoft.installSilverlightPlugin" and continue untill every             com.microsoft.install is in the trash, you will be prompted for your Admin password when you move files from this location to the Trash.

17. Click on Go.

18. Choose Home.

19. Open the Library folder.

20. Open the Preferences folder.

21. Look for the com.microsoft.silverlight.plist, com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin.loader.plist and com.microsoft.playready.plist files and move them to the trash.

22. Go back to the (Home) Library folder.

23. Open Application Support.

24. Open Microsoft.

25. Move the Silverlight folder to the trash when it is there.

26. Check your Trash to make sure there is nothing you want to keep then empty your Trash.

27. Restart your Mac.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:56 PM
  • WOW microsoft i can't believe you scrapped netflix and have tons of unfixed silverlight bugs.... WOW

i wanna puke.. I'm at my limit

FIX SL5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

To release a buggy SL5 at the same time as pulling the plug on silverlight is UNACCEPTABLE!!

IT'S ABOUT RESPECT!!!

I'm halfway on a big SL5 project and now WHAT!!!!

I have to throw this project to the garbage and go back learning objective-c??? or recode all this project in WPF but it will not work on mac so i also need to code all the app in objective-c..

I'M PISSED.. I should have left the boat long time ago

what about all clients of all .net companies..... what do you tell them??

---

oh sorry we don't KNOW SHIT about what to do with your SL projects because microsoft is shitting on us so bad that we cannot see very far???Ohh sorry, we know SL5 is buggy and we don't know about support.???

So the client say : "Ohh I saw that the new hype is html5 and that SL is dead... since it was you who recommended that crap.. I want you to recode all of my project in half the time and at half price in js and html5.. or i'm going to another company" 

CAN'T YOU SEE THAT IT'S CRAZY!! We don't want and are not ready for html5/JS but your forcing it on us..

we are now slaves of microsoft..

there's a limit to how arrogant they can be!!

Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:42 AM

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Thank you! I followed your steps and it worked.  Thanks again.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:35 AM
  • okay everyone...

i am also now having the same problem of not being able to watch netflix on my macbook pro, but only since i upgraded to "mountain lion" earlier this week. same response from netflix (which btw has an awesome technical support) and the same runaround from microsoft (always a pain in my arse).

so... does anyone have a way of solving this new problem?

thanks.

Sunday, August 05, 2012 2:20 PM
  • It worked! Thank you so much c6151!!!!

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Hi, c6151,

Thanks so much for this post! I'm on a 2006 MacBook Intel Core Duo running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I was also having problems with Silverlight on Netflix. The video would hang up, or crash my machine. I experienced this on the Dateline website which seems to use Silverlight as well. In addition, when I visited sites that use Flash, they would not recognize the Flash Player that I had just installed. Each site wanted me to install Flash anew. This happened both in Safari 5.1.7 and Firefox 15.0.1.

I used the directions above from c6151 without success at first. Then, I repeated the directions and also deleted any files that had to do with Flash in all the Library folders. I restarted the Mac, and opened Safari 5.1.7. I installed Silverlight 4. Then I installed the current version of Flash--11.4.402.287. I made sure that I enabled plug-ins, Java, and JavaScript in Safari before the reinstalls. Also, I disabled any Internet plug-ins like ClickToFlash and ClicktoPlugin during the reinstalls.

Now videos on Netflix and Dateline run well in Safari. Firefox won't let me play Netflix videos with Silverlight 4. It keeps insisting I must install the latest version of Silverlight, which of course I won't do. It only took about 5 hours to go through all the fixes to find one that finally worked . . . 

Monday, October 08, 2012 5:37 PM
  • I followed the above directions unsuccessfully.  This is a sudden problem for me.  Up until now, I haven't had any issues with Netflix, Silverlight or Mac.  I have no trouble with Flash.  How does one download Silverlight 4?

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:25 AM
  • I just want to say too that we are all paying big bucks for this service.  It should work any time we need it!!!  If this bug isn't fixed in the next 48 hours, I am going to report Microsoft and Netflix to the BBB for bad business practices.  This is ridiculous!

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:29 AM
  • This worked for me:
    Run Firefox in 32-bit mode, Netflix will work. To do that:

1. Quit Firefox. Go to the Firefox menu and select Quit.
    2. Open your Applications folder
    3. Find Firefox in the Applications folder and click it once to select it. Then press command + i on your keyboard. An information window will open up.
    4. In the Firefox information window, check the box next to Open in 32-bit mode
    5. Close the info window and restart Firefox
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:30 PM
  • This worked for me:
    Run Firefox in 32-bit mode, Netflix will work. To do that:

1. Quit Firefox. Go to the Firefox menu and select Quit.
    2. Open your Applications folder
    3. Find Firefox in the Applications folder and click it once to select it. Then press command + i on your keyboard. An information window will open up.
    4. In the Firefox information window, check the box next to Open in 32-bit mode
    5. Close the info window and restart Firefox
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Hi, There is a bug with Silverlight on Mac that means that sometimes it stops working for no reason. The solution is to remove every single Silverlight file and then reinstall it but you must make sure you remove everything first. Use a free tool like AppDelete and then reinstall Silverlight and it should work. More help and info here:

http://machow2.com/netflix-for-mac/

• Edited by Mac How Friday, April 26, 2013 5:48 PM
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:03 PM