none
Visual Studio / Visual C++ Project File Generation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First, I'm not sure in which forum this question belongs...please advise if there is a better location.  It doesn't seem to fit into any of the major pre-defined categories.

I have a Code Generation Tool (a command line program) that produces C++ source and header files.  The program is being ported from UNIX where it, in addition to generating hpp and cpp files, it generated a Makefile (a gmake makefile) so that the generated code could be easily compiled into a library.

Now that this tool is on Windows I would like to generate a Visual Studio Project File or an nmake compatible makefile (preferably a project file) that can be loaded into Visual Studio to easily build a library out of the generated code.  I've looked at the structure of the Visual Studio Project Files and they are very complex and in the best case would be difficult to generate outside of Visual Studio.  

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any guidance here.  Is there any documentation for Visual Studio Project Files?  Is there any discussion of the minimum contents that a Visual Studio Project File must have?

Any ideas at all would be welcome.

Thanks!!

Brian

Monday, September 27, 2010 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hello Brian,

Based on your descriptions, I think you may search on the internet to see if there are any forum or discussion group for this tool to see if you can get any ideas. In addition, you could post try posting it on Visual C++ General Forum
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads as this forum here is for the setup and installation of Visual Studio.

Thanks.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:38 AM