Expression Studio discontinued by Microsoft? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a not too complicated WYSIWYG program so I was thinking of buying Expression Studio 4 Web Professional.  I think I read that Microsoft has just discontinued this program and replaced it with something called "Blend" (I think) - which sounds a LOT more complicated and expensive. 

I just want to do updates on current web pages (HTML) and design new pages.  No animations or fancy bells and whistles, just basic HTML pages and JPF files.  Something that doesn't require an advanced degree to learn. 

Is anyone familiar with "Blend" or have an other recommendations?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can read the complete news here:  http://expression.microsoft.com

The products that were sold as Expression Web Professional are now available for free download:  Expression Web (free version), Expression Design (free version), and Expression Encoder (free).  The download links are on the Expression News page, referenced above.

Blend is an application targeted for designers and developers who are creating Windows 8 and Windows Phone apps.  It is currently shipping as a standalone tool with Visual Studio 2012, and will continue to be shipped with Visual Studio as a part of a consolidated toolset.

Thanks,

Lori

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can read the complete news here:  http://expression.microsoft.com

The products that were sold as Expression Web Professional are now available for free download:  Expression Web (free version), Expression Design (free version), and Expression Encoder (free).  The download links are on the Expression News page, referenced above.

Blend is an application targeted for designers and developers who are creating Windows 8 and Windows Phone apps.  It is currently shipping as a standalone tool with Visual Studio 2012, and will continue to be shipped with Visual Studio as a part of a consolidated toolset.

Thanks,

Lori

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:00 PM
  • There is no such thing as a WYSIWYG web editing program. The nearest you will find is CoffeeCup or, possibly, Xara.  Both produce terrible, bloated HTML which blows up in some browsers.

Blend 5 (not a replacement for Expression Web) has been "imported" into Visual Studio - it is that version that can be used to produce HTML5 applications - definitly not WYSIWYG, previous versions of
    Blend were not generally used for HTML.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 10:05 AM
  • With this news that Expression is discontinued, what are you supposed to do if you want to purchase Blend for .NET 4.0 WPF application development?

There seems to be no way to get it now, and there is no go-live beta version available, only the preview. Surely, just as with Expression Design and Web, it should be made available for free.

Believe it or not, WPF development still goes on, and needs to be supported!

(I'm aware that VS 2012 has a designer based on Blend, but it's not the full deal by any means.)

Pete Beech

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hi PeteBeech,

Most developers working on WPF 4.0 projects already have Blend 4.0.  For those who don't, we recommend using Visual Studio 2012 along with our Blend + SketchFlow Preview for Visual Studio 2012. http://blendinsider.com/technical/announcing-blend-sketchflow-preview-for-visual-studio-2012-2012-08-15/

As we announced, we are committed to providing an updated version of Blend with Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 that supports WPF and Silverlight development.

Thanks,

Lori

Friday, January 4, 2013 8:03 PM