none
Update Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 15.4 to 15.6 RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry for asking what seems like a FAQ but I have been using Visual Studio over many years but I am not up to the latest method for keeping it up to the latest release. I realize VS2017 encompasses a large set of possible workloads in the installation. I did actually perform an overnight download to get the local image (layout) for all the possible workloads I might want to install for the 15.4 installation. I just installed on my work machine but see that now 15.6 is out and I assumed I would see individual workload (VS2017 components) updates available for the 15.6 release but I don't see them. I do see I can get the 15.6 installer but I have a lot of components installed so I don't need to go through a complete install just update the workloads I need (or ones I care about right now). 

I am just confused about how this is supposed to work. I only see the update for "Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools" in the Flag next to the quick launch search tool.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

The latest version for visual studio 2017 will get the latest features and platform support not yet in previous Visual Studio 2017 version and contains bug fixes. You can check the release note for visual studio 2017 15.6.

>>I do see I can get the 15.6 installer but I have a lot of components installed so I don't need to go through a complete install just update the workloads I need (or ones I care about right now). 

It is hard to say which workload has update. For example, "Additional optimizations in the C++ compiler allow your code to run faster" in what's new in these release, you can update c++ workload instead of the complete visual studio 2017. 

How to update a local image (layout)

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Thanks Joyce,

So I guess the short answer is to repeat the process I performed for 15.4 for the local image layout for 15.6?  I assumed there would be something more granular, i.e. local layout updater or "Update all workloads to 15.6" in the IDE.  I wanted to avoid the time consuming update of the local image to 15.6 if possible. But if it's really the only way then I might as well let it run over the weekend.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:16 PM
  • Answering this question is a little complicated because in 15.6 they have modified how updates are done. Since you have not applied 15.6 you are using the old way but for the future it won't refer to the new way.

Normally I have a flag in the upper-right of VS as in the following.

At the moment is says I have one update to be performed. Normally when an update is available the flag will be Yellow. I think it is White now because the update has been queued and is pending. Alternatively you can go to "Extensions and Updates..." in the Tool menu. However the way the updates are done has changed in 15.6 but I think you can still get to the updates the same way. So when you have pending updates you should see something as in the following regardless of the version of VS.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:06 PM