401 error when accessing page template (_layouts) when using web single sign on authentication RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Shibboleth federated identity infrastructure to authenticate with WSS 3.0. Shibboleth is working through an ISAPI filter and an ISAPI extension. I have written an authentication module to create a principal for the user session plus a membership provider and a role provider. It works f
    ine in a .Net program. But I have a problem with WSS as I have a 401 error when downloading the page template (css, images, javascript) in the _layout directory.

It seems that the _ directory does not recognize that the user is already identified, as I am redirected to the login.aspx page.

Does anyone ever worked whith the single sign on authentication ? May be I should also have a custom form autherntication ?

Thanks for any answers.

Jean Marie
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:08 PM

All replies

• I am using Shibboleth federated identity infrastructure to authenticate with WSS 3.0. Shibboleth is working through an ISAPI filter and an ISAPI extension. I have written an authentication module to create a principal for the user session plus a membership provider and a role provider. It works f
    ine in a .Net program. But I have a problem with WSS as I have a 401 error when downloading the page template (css, images, javascript) in the _layout directory.

It seems that the _ directory does not recognize that the user is already identified, as I am redirected to the login.aspx page.

Does anyone ever worked whith the single sign on authentication ? May be I should also have a custom form autherntication ?

Thanks for any answers.

Jean Marie
    Hi, we are experiencing the same, but we are using IAG (kerberos) for authentication. Its weird, when surfing the site anonymous everything works like a charm. If i authenticate with a user that is not added as a sharepoint user, I get access to the site but every css/js file under /_layouts is rejected with 401.5. Though I get access to aspx pages under _layouts. Furthermore, there is no problem accessing everything under the virtual directory _layouts/images.
    So I get access to content and aspx pages, but not css/js/htm files located in the virtual directory _layouts. If i authenticate with the same user and now that user is added to the sharepoint user list.. everything gets downloaded.

/Kent
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:40 AM