none
Visual Studio 2017 extensions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have noticed that "Visual Studio 2017" registry information is different than in previous Visual Studio versions (2015, 2013, 2012).

In the past:

1) we could know Visual Studio installation directory by reading the value of InstallDir under:

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0 (VS2012)

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0 (VS2013)

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0 (VS2015)

2) we could know Visual Studio devenv.exe path by reading the value of EnvironmentPath under:

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Setup\VS (VS2012)

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Setup\VS (VS2013)

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Setup\VS (VS2015)

3) We always knew where the extension folder is located under %localappdata% which was as following:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<VS version>\Extensions

for example:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Extensions

Now, with Visual Studio 2017:

A) Visual Studio installation directory could not be read as mentioned above, but by reading the 15.0 registry value at:

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\SxS\VS7

B) devenv.exe location is not specified in registry - EnvironmentPath doesn't exist anymore.

C) extensions folder is under something like the following for Visual Studio 2017 proffesional: 

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_e1143f33\Extensions

it is 15.0_e1143f33 and not just 15.0 as before, and I didn't found a location from where to read the e1143f33.

How to find where the extension folder is located?

In addition can you pleas help, and tell Where extensions should be installed for "Visual Studio 2017" ? (professional, Community and\or Enterprise)? is the location specified in section C above is correct?

I'm creating an installer, that installs some samples for Visual Studio and add sub menu to Visual Studio tools menu, so why I need to know the information above.

Thanks in advance!

Donna

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:02 PM

All replies