none
remote debugging issue RRS feed

• Question

• i am debugging a c# plugin remotely. solution is in VS 2017 

i have set up remote debugging regarding to this : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/debugger/remote-debugging-csharp?view=vs-2019

debugging starts fine, when i start debugging on VS, the application starts on the target machine, but exactly when it reaches a break point, the app on target machine closes and thus an error comes up on dev-machine " connection to ... lost, debugging will be aborted"

i have tried anything that i was suspicious to, i tried a clean build,  also tried to delete all breakpoints and set some again. 

when i delete all breakpoints no crash occurs. i have checked modules, the symbol file related to the dll i am trying to debug is loaded.

i really have no clue what is happening when i add breakpoints

Sunday, September 1, 2019 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hi RDStech,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, please have a try the following steps:

#1 Open Tools/Options/Debugging/Symbols, then use local symbol files instead of symbol server

#2 Click empty symbol cache

#3 Manually attach to process in Debug/Attach to process...,please refer more :

The Debugging is not hitting the Breakpoint

Attach to a process on a remote computer

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, September 2, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Dear Dylan,

thank you for the guidance,

i tried what ever you said, but no success. 

i tried to attach to the process that was running on the remote machine, but in this case no breakpoints get hit. also i tried to add local symbol folder in options but when even when a local location is set, if i click load symbols, it tries to fetch symbols from Microsoft symbol server.

also when i try to attach symbols manually, it just tells me no matching symbol is found in the folder.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Hi RDStech,

Thank you for reply.

Did pdb file exist in your attached folder? 

Then please try to re-install and re-configure Remote Debugger in remote machine.

BTW, if possible, could you provide more details about this issue:

#What's the type of this script?

#How does your C# script work?

Look forward for your reply.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:09 AM