none
Exit Code Returned: 1603 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to upgrade Sql Server 2005 From 9.0.3042 to Service pack2 and hotfix (9.0.3282), during Service pack2 upgrade was ended unsuccessfully due to this error " Exit Code Returned: 1603" found in error logs under SQl Server folders.

I would appreciate if anyone could advise me what went wrong during installation?
    Thanks, Krishna Nellutla
    Monday, January 5, 2009 2:32 PM

All replies

• Can you please zip the log file and upload it with your question? The log file is in the installation folder, eg. %Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<time stamp>\detail.txt.
    SQL Setup team
    Monday, January 5, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

I dont see above folder path in windows 2003 OS rather  i see  %Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\summary.txt.

Please point me to right path
    Thanks, Krishna Nellutla
    Monday, January 5, 2009 7:04 PM
  • You can find log for individual component in the location C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix. Try log file for SP2 & Hotfix under this directory, you can find some details out there.. In most of the cases 1603 is a generic error and we can't predict the error exactly, pls review the log files for more information.
    Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:08 AM