none
Maximum database size(mdf,ldf) in Express Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

is there any size limit for the database LDF file in SQL express edition?

I have done a POC where the MDF file size is 8 GB and LDF file size is go up to 28G.

Please suggest.

• Edited by Nirav.Gandhi Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:44 PM modify
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Nirav.Gandhi,

>> is there any size limit for the database LDF file in SQL express edition?

No, this limit not include Transaction Log (LDF) file. SQL Server Express only imposes file size limits on data files. The size limit is per database so if the database is composed of multiple data files, then the limit is across all data files in the single database. And we can have more than one database of 10 GB each in SQL Server Express.  SQL 2008 R2, SQL 2012 , SQL 2014, SQL 2016, SQL 2017 Express Edition has limit of 10 GB data file(s) size.

Best regards,
    Cathy   

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, January 24, 2020 3:18 AM

All replies

• Log file and Filestream size don't count for the 10 GB database size limit in SQL Express, see Filestream and https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2015/10/21/sql-server-database-size-limitation-in-sql-express/

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:49 PM
  • I'm not aware of a log file size restriction with Express Edition. Space requirements depend on the database recovery model, log backup frequency, update activity performed between log backups, and transaction size. 

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:53 PM
  • I'm not aware of a log file size restriction with Express Edition. Space requirements depend on the database recovery model, log backup frequency, update activity performed between log backups, and transaction size. 

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Limitation is for Data file only.
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:24 PM
  • Hello Team,

is there any size limit for the database LDF file in SQL express edition?

I have done a POC where the MDF file size is 8 GB and LDF file size is go up to 28G.

Please suggest.

You can attach the DB , but the data file limitation is up to 10 GB in express edition and there is no limitations for log file.

Please mark me as answer if my post helps you.

Br

ChetanV

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:26 PM
  • Hi Nirav.Gandhi,

>> is there any size limit for the database LDF file in SQL express edition?

No, this limit not include Transaction Log (LDF) file. SQL Server Express only imposes file size limits on data files. The size limit is per database so if the database is composed of multiple data files, then the limit is across all data files in the single database. And we can have more than one database of 10 GB each in SQL Server Express.  SQL 2008 R2, SQL 2012 , SQL 2014, SQL 2016, SQL 2017 Express Edition has limit of 10 GB data file(s) size.

Best regards,
    Cathy   

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, January 24, 2020 3:18 AM
  • Hi Nirav.Gandhi,

Did you resolve your issue? If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 27, 2020 7:29 AM