In which Edition of SQL Server 2012 will database mirroring be available? RRS feed

• Question

• Given the change of licensing model in SQL Server 2012, what is the edition requirement for database mirroring? Will it be Standard as before?

I know that mirroring is considered deprecated and will be replaced in the future by AlwaysOn but I can think of some situations when mirroring is doable, while AlwaysOn isn't.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

As you know mirroring is deprecated and you should start using the new features however it is still supported in SQL 2012 from Std Edition upwards. Anything lower than Std can only be used as a witness.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993(v=SQL.110).aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Marked as answer by Szymon Wojcik Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:44 PM
  • As you know mirroring is deprecated and you should start using the new features

If you are on Enterprise! If you are on Standard, well, what can a poor boy do?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:02 PM
  • If you are on Enterprise! If you are on Standard, well, what can a poor boy do?

Yeah that's a big problem and I think we'll see a change soon (hopefully). Any luck using your MVP powers to get them to re-think this?

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Well, I could try log shipping, for example :) but it's not much of a help if automatic failover was required.

I could also try edition upgrade, but this would require pretty deep pockets. :)

Now more seriously - I also used lmgtfy.com in the meantime and found here (official SQL Server 2012 edition comparison) that basic high availability is included in SQL Server 2012. This consists of (quote): log shipping, database mirroring, server core support and two-node Failover Clustering. I wonder how I could miss it in the first place... :)

Thanks for the info!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:25 PM