none
Windows Installer 3.1 for Win XP *SERVICE PACK 3* ? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there is a way to get the old windows installer that will work with Windows XP Service Pack 3?  I would like to install SQL Server 2008 v2 express, but the latest Installer 3.1 v2 will not work on XP SP3. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how it can be done!!!

Thank you!

Spre

Thursday, January 23, 2020 3:20 AM

All replies

• We write the year 2020 and Win XP and SQL 2008 are out-of-support since many, many years; I don't think you can get any updates or installer for them.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by YKN123 Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:23 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:41 AM
  • Hi Spre,

Extended support for SQL Server 2008 R2 ended on July 9, 2019. Microsoft will no longer release security updates for any version of SQL Server 2008 R2. Don't let your infrastructure and applications go unprotected. So we do not recommend you install SQL server 2008 R2. You can get the information from this blog.

Support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014. Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. You can get the information from this MS document.

>> Does anyone know if there is a way to get the old windows installer that will work with Windows XP Service Pack 3?

This is a forums that talking about SQL server issues. This issue is more related to windows server, I suggest you open a thread in Windows server forum, people there will help you more effectively. 
    Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by YKN123 Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:23 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:09 AM