none
PowerPivot Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to use SharePoint reporting services and PowerPivot BISM functionality which can use SharePoint reporting service reports instead of using Analysis services or Excel. Do I need to install Analysis services PowerPivot instance for this? I do not want to install that because I have analysis services Tabular instance on other server which is being used by SSRS SP service application to pull the report.

Can I use SharePoint PowerPivot Add in and install PowerPivot service application instead of installing PowerPivot Instance by using SQL disk. My fundamental question is that when I am not using excel services or SQL PowerPivot instance and only using SSRS with BISM connection why should I install SQL server powerPivot instance. Also When I install PowerPivot SP add and run Configuration wizard It ask for local instance which is not installed (because I do not need it) and it fails. Now it is in struck state. Now when I try to remove it or reinstall it , it throws an ugly error(Parent service is not there error). Not sure what to do?

My next question is if in case we need to install PowerPivot instance of SharePoint can we install it on SQL server and configure service application from there instead of installing it on SharePoint server?

Regards

Rajaniesh 

• Moved by Dean_Wang Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:18 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Rajaniesh Kaushikk,

PowerPivot for SharePoint is a Analysis Services server configured for SharePoint mode. You don’t need to install PowerPivot instance if you don’t built PowerPivot data using the PowerPivot for Excel 2010 add-in or excel.

Power Pivot for SharePoint 2013 is a collection of application server components and back-end services that provide Power Pivot data access in a SharePoint Server 2013 farm. If you want to configure it, the SQL Server PowerPivot instance is must. And PowerPivot for SharePoint is directly included in the SQL Server. The Power Pivot for SharePoint add-in (spPowerpivot.msi) is an installer package used to install the application server components. For more considerations for PowerPivot for SharePoint, please refer to this article.

Best Regards,
    Angelia
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:02 AM
  • I installed PowerPivot instance on SQL server and installed PowerPivot-addin on each server and then configured it thru Wizard ...I found it started working. I also found that without SQL server Analysis services  PowerPivot instance it does not works even though you do not use it. This is weird.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

This forum is for issue about SharePoint. Since the issue is more relative to the PowerPivot, I would like to move it to PowerPivot forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi Rajaniesh Kaushikk,

PowerPivot for SharePoint is a Analysis Services server configured for SharePoint mode. You don’t need to install PowerPivot instance if you don’t built PowerPivot data using the PowerPivot for Excel 2010 add-in or excel.

Power Pivot for SharePoint 2013 is a collection of application server components and back-end services that provide Power Pivot data access in a SharePoint Server 2013 farm. If you want to configure it, the SQL Server PowerPivot instance is must. And PowerPivot for SharePoint is directly included in the SQL Server. The Power Pivot for SharePoint add-in (spPowerpivot.msi) is an installer package used to install the application server components. For more considerations for PowerPivot for SharePoint, please refer to this article.

Best Regards,
    Angelia
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:02 AM
  • I installed PowerPivot instance on SQL server and installed PowerPivot-addin on each server and then configured it thru Wizard ...I found it started working. I also found that without SQL server Analysis services  PowerPivot instance it does not works even though you do not use it. This is weird.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:45 PM