none
Visual Studio 2017 crashes when setting TargetFrameworks property to multi target .NET Framework, .NET Core RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

My company develops a popular WPF Chart Control which currently targets WPF and .NET Framework 4.5, 4.6, 4.7. 

We are hoping to target .NET Core 3.0 as soon as it is available but are having difficulty doing feasibility because Visual Studio crashes when we multi target a solution. 

Is this the correct way of multi-targetting an existing WPF/.NET Framework *.csproj? 

1. With existing *.csproj remove the <TargetFrameworkVersion> element in the project file
    2. Replace with a <TargetFrameworks> element containing multiple frameworks e.g. <TargetFrameworks>net461;netcoreapp3.0</TargetFrameworks>

When I do this Visual Studio 2017 crashes immediately. You can reproduce by creating a new WPF Application, editing the project file and performing steps above. 

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Dr ABT,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Where did you download the .NET Core 3.0? Research around, I found some official to announced it and cannot found the documentation about how to re-target the existing WPF project to .NET Core 3.0.

I tried to follow your steps and the VS 2017 crashed, I suppose it relates to the content that we modified in the .csproj  file, it is not be supported.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:22 AM
  • Hi Dr ABT,

Sorry to trouble you and have your issue is solved or not? If this issue persists, please update your latest information and that will help us analysis this issue.

If it is solved, we recommend you share the solution in here and it is benefit for other community members, then we can close this thread for you, thank you for your understanding.

BTW, for more WPF or .NET core development issues, please redirect to this appropriate forums: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=wpf and https://forums.asp.net/1255.aspx/1?ASP+NET+Core for a more professional support, since our forum is to discuss the VS IDE.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:12 AM