How to outsource authentication to Live Id? RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have a web application with hundreds of users.  I want them to be able to log in the application using Live ID. I have explored the sample that comes with SDK; it returns a token after user logs in.

My question is how we would associate that token with the user in our database. Do I need to create a table that will link users to tokens, something like USERS_TOKENS?

Even if I create the table I won’t know the tokens for the users until they try log in with Live ID and I explicitly ask then to associate there token to an account in the application.

Also I want to put "Sign in" image instead of just a link.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

kan
    Friday, December 5, 2008 3:13 PM

All replies

• You have to link to your existing user database, yes. You should not link the token as it's generated each time when a user signs in, you have to link the UUID you receive after decoding the token. The UUID stays the same, the token changes. There is no way of requesting a UUID before the user gives it to you - the user has to manually associate his/her user account to his/her Live ID.

Fellow MVP Nick Brown has made some cool add-ons for Community Server, one of them showcasing what you want. Take a look at his work on Codeplex, maybe it helps you. It's in the CSLive package, if I'm not mistaken: http://www.codeplex.com/CSLive.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 10:10 PM