none
user is in reader role but all he sees is empty databases folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. We have a couple of ssas 14.0.239.1 tabular models as shown in figure 1. I added a role to tabular 3 called user and added my user to the role. When he uses ssms from his pc to reach the tabular models all he sees is an empty "databases" folder. Why is that?  I have no problem seeing/browsing the tabular models from both the server its on and a server with ssms that is remote to that server.  the service is running.  the last image had to be anonymized but his domain and userid are there and they were checked for validity.

• Edited by db042190 Friday, January 24, 2020 7:13 PM its from his pc
    Friday, January 24, 2020 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

With read permission, it is supposed to be like this way.

For the query or other data reading activity, the user could click new query button, and the dimension or other table will show up in the query designer.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 27, 2020 7:34 AM
  • are you sure?  before I contact him I have to ask this...with multiple "db's" how will ssms know which db's dims etc to show? And are you saying rt click the empty folder and hit query?  or hit new query above the execute button?  There is no option to rt click the folder and see "new query" at least not with my permissions.

Also, you must be saying then that there is no option for him to drag and drop in a pivot.  I hit new query and it appears that unless i'm willing to code , i'm not querying data in a more user friendly manner such as pivot.  Is that correct? 

Monday, January 27, 2020 12:12 PM
  • SSMS is an admin tool. The object browser only shows databases for which the current user has admin rights.

If you use a client tool like Excel or Power BI Desktop the user will see databases to which they have read access.

Lukas is right that end users can still run queries from SSMS, but they have to click on the MDX or DAX buttons in the tool bar then, then pick the database from the dropdown in the toolbar then hand type a DAX or MDX query which is not really something a typical end user is comfortable doing.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Monday, January 27, 2020 9:45 PM
  • Thx Lukas and Darren.  SSMS shows relational items for which I do not have admin rights. And allows me some of the easier tasks like selecting top 1000. I would say MS dropped he ball on this one. And from what I recall multidimensional cubes can be pivoted in ssms by users who don't have admin rights.  If and when I get a chance I'll recommend that change.  In the meantime, it sounds like you are saying that even with permissions to process, a user will not have pivot capability in ssms.  I'll check that out and post back here.
    • Edited by db042190 Tuesday, January 28, 2020 12:21 PM afterthought
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 11:31 AM