none
Pasted url's not Hyperlinked in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7 with IE 9 I can paste text that includes url's into a forum reply, and the url's are automatically hyperlinked. Using Windows 10 with Edge, when I paste the exact same text the url's are not hyperlinked. Is there a setting I am missing? It is very inconvenient to convert each url into a hyperlink.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:58 PM

Answers

• Its never worked for me either. I have to manually link them. I assumed a new security feature of Edge. Robert may know when he sees this.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:43 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:41 PM

All replies

• Its never worked for me either. I have to manually link them. I assumed a new security feature of Edge. Robert may know when he sees this.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:43 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:41 PM
  • What do you mean by "hyperlinked"?

Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:45 PM
  • What do you mean by "hyperlinked"?

https://www.google.com/ == plain text

https://www.google.com/ == hyperlinked

Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:48 PM
  • I could understand. I'll check if it would be reproduced.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:58 PM
  • I believe others in the  forums have the same problem, but don't bother to use the "Insert hyperlink" icon to convert them. I see many replies with links that are just text, so you need to copy them and paste into a browser.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:14 PM
  • Richard,

Are you meaning plain text like http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge

Or, is your text html? Microsoft Edge forum on Microsoft Community.

(This is just a test. I am not really suggesting asking on the Edge forum)

Karl

• Edited by OldKarlm Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:50 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:50 PM
  • So, my test worked.

I assume that you are using plain text.

I did not know that would work on IE :)

I always do stuff like <p>Hello,</p><p>I'd ask in the <a href="http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge">Microsoft Edge</a> forum on Microsoft Community.</p>

Of course, that gives the link the "Microsoft Edge" text instead of the long url.

Karl

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:53 PM
  • In IE11 on Win 10 my test fails as well:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b37c8bc7-7116-4386-9960-eab117443e80/test?forum=tnsandbox

If I am understanding right :)

At least IE knows who I am.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:57 PM
  • In IE11 on Win 10 my test fails as well:.

IE users have a quirk that they are used to:  add a space to the URL text you Paste

Test

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge  

Test

Unfortunately since Edge is fixated on "standards" we probably won't see quirks implemented for "compatibility."

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:37 AM
  • That's funny. I suppose the luck just ran out.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:04 AM
  • Adding one or more spaces (and blank lines) didn't seem to help (I used Just Karl's Sandbox Forum test post, linked above). But if I past the HTML of what I want, that works and I get hyperlinks. This is good for standard stuff I paste from text files I have saved, but not for pasting links I find to answer question.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:47 PM
  • I am using Google Chrome and a year or more ago the links stopped being hyperlinked so since then I have to use link feature which I agree, is time consuming.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Create a hyperlink to a location on the web
    Select the text or picture that you want to display as a hyperlink. Press Ctrl+K. You can also right-click the text or picture and click Link on the shortcut menu. In the Insert Hyperlink box, type or paste your link in the Address box.

Regards,
    Peter

Tuesday, October 4, 2022 8:48 AM
  • How did you solve this problem?
    Wednesday, October 5, 2022 11:57 PM
  • didnt understand the question
    Friday, October 7, 2022 1:29 AM