none
How to address "Application has encountered a problem" RRS feed

• Question

• This is a legacy application built for company purpose with VS 2005. The application(.exe) is used on a machine(windows XP) with no internet connection.

The application works fine as long as the LAN is disabled in the machine. As soon as LAN is enabled the application throws "app.exe has encountered a problem and need to close" error. I would like to know if there is anyway a network connection would interfere with an executable file's launch.

Thanks

• Edited by ribash1816 Friday, September 20, 2019 4:06 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 3:08 PM

All replies

• I think no unless the program somehow has code for the LAN. Maybe a virus is trying to phone home but it is unlikely a virus would be so stupid as to give an error like that.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, September 22, 2019 2:25 AM
  • Hi ribash1816,

Sorry for delay in reply.

It seems that there is some conflicts within system. Could this application run in other WinXP machine under LAN?

Please have a try to clean and rebuild your project under LAN, then open it to check if it could work.

If it couldn't work, please have a try to re-set winsock. Please open cmd.exe, then type command "netsh winsock reset catalog", and re-start your system.

If it persists, I'm afraid you need to re-install system to troubleshot it.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, September 23, 2019 2:24 AM