Hardware recommendations for best IDE performance RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for ways to improve the performance of my developers using the VS2005 IDE. Currently we waste a lot of time loading projects, building projects, and waiting for the designer. We are working with medium to large solutions ranging from 10-75 projects per solution. We try to use smaller solutions whenever possible, but we still wait a lot.

Our current platform is Dell OPTIPLEX GX280, Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, HyperThreaded with 2 GB of RAM.

What is the best bang for the buck: Faster CPU, 10K RPM hard disks, RAM disk, RAID 0?

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:33 PM

Answers

• that seems ok - more or less what I have but built my own system. there is a slowness in perf when loading a fair amount of projects and apperently the issue has been addressed in VS2005 SP1 (currently in Beta). You can get the beta if you wish but be warned, make sure you backup your stuff (including all projects) just in case as it is a beta and there are known issues with it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/somasegar/archive/2006/09/26/772250.aspx

CPU and RAM is the main thing that it uses for processing and loading. Make sure also to disable background tasks/application and be sure to use a trusty AV software as sometimes it CAN slow apps down even if you think its trusted.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 12:44 AM