none
How do I create a Multi-List Select within a Word Template RRS feed

• Question

• I'm poking around and even YouTube and I cannot for the life of me find a decent web site or YouTube that talks you how to create a Multi-List Select List in a Word Template.

I am trying to prototype something and need the capability to do a Multi-List Select where I can pick multiple entries from a List.

Thanks for your review and am hope for a reply.

Friday, May 8, 2020 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hi ITBobbyP, 
    This forum is discussing and asking questions about the Windows Forms, it does not involve "Word Template". I will move it to "where is the forum for" forum and the case will be redirected to correct forum.
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 11, 2020 1:35 AM
  • Can you spell out what you have in mind? i.e. what do you want your list to be able to do?

I ask because only one of the built-in list controls (the old ActiveX List Box) lets you put a multi-select list in the body of the document and will show the selections - like this:

The red arrow indicates the icon you would use to insert such a control, but then you would need to add entries etc. using VBA.

You can also use one of those ListBox controls on a VBA Userform. That would allow you to prompt the user and retrieve multiple selections, but then it's a question of what you want to happen to them.

If your organisation happens to be using Sharepoint, there's another way to use a predefined Multiselect list, but no simple way to display it in the body of the document. You would define a SharePoint column in the appropriate Document Library. Use the column type "Choice", and specify that it displays its options using checkboxes. The user can then display the Sharepoint Properties using the Properties button in the View tab of the Ribbon. They can select/unselect multiple items, but again, to do anything else with those values in the document you would have to write VBA to retrieve the selection data from the Custom XML Part where Word saves the choices the user made.

So you really need to be able to specify what you need to do.

Peter Jamieson

Monday, May 11, 2020 4:15 PM
  • See if this helps:

https://gregmaxey.com/word_tip_pages/multiselect_contentcontrol.html

Greg Maxey Please visit my website at: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm

Friday, May 15, 2020 8:18 PM
  • I was looking more for a Multi-List Select List with check boxes, Is there any way to do that in a Microsoft Word Template?
    Monday, May 18, 2020 1:54 PM