What is /usr/sbin/azure_crypt_key.sh and where is it used in the process? RRS feed

• Question

• I've posted another question, but also want to understand if I am chasing a ghost. Right now my machine boots successfully and everything reports OK.

OsVolumeEncrypted          : Encrypted
    DataVolumesEncrypted       : Encrypted
    OsVolumeEncryptionSettings : Microsoft.Azure.Management.Compute.Models.DiskEncryptionSettings
    ProgressMessage            : Encryption succeeded for all volumes

But I still get this error on boot:

systemd-cryptsetup[1292]: Encountered unknown /etc/crypttab option 'keyscript=/usr/sbin/azure_crypt_key.sh', ignoring.

My questions are:

1.) What is azure_crypt_key.sh? (Looking at it, it seems like it tries to mount a key drive, but I wonder if this is used only during the original encrypt step)

2.) When is it used the process? (Ex: if this is used only when applying the OS encryption originally and the script failed to remove this, am I ok to remove it myself?)

3.) Is it safe to remove / ignore this error?

I've read tips about using initramfs setting or that this can simply be removed.

Sunday, February 23, 2020 3:59 PM

All replies

• I've also read that keyscript option is not supported in systemd mode, so I really do wonder if this is just part of the Azure set encryption tasks and simply failed to be "cleaned up".

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/3007

Sunday, February 23, 2020 4:00 PM
  • Apologies for the delay! To understand the issue better, could you please provide more details on the issue you are experiencing? At point do you get the above mentioned error? Also, kindly do share a screenshot of the issue after concealing any private details. Looking forward to your reply.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 12:50 PM
  • Just checking in to see if you have had a chance to see the previous response. Could you share the above required information to understand/investigate this issue further?

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:46 PM
  • @Rudy_Rosa Just checking in to see if you have had a chance to see the previous response. Could you share the above required information to understand/investigate this issue further?
    Monday, March 2, 2020 9:34 AM