none
Options to Auto Shut Down or delete an Environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an ARM template which creates below resources in my Dev Test Lab

1. App Service (Deploys Multi Container Images)

2. Azure Storage

3. Azure Service Plan for App Service

All the above are linked to the Resource group created as part of Environment creation in Dev Test Lab. Now I wanted to make use of the Auto Shut Down feature. But since these are not VM's they are not applicable. Is there any such options, where I can stop all these resources and not use them during the night time to avoid the cost. One option is to Manually delete them and re create this Environment next day. But then the data from Azure Storage would be lost.

Is there any other option available?

Thanks and Regards,

Manu.

Manu

Monday, September 23, 2019 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hello Manu,
    Thank you for reaching out. 

I would try changing your hosting plan to the free tier so you will stop being charged if it is not set to the free tier already.  Please note that if you have things like deployment slots and certificates, these will be deleted. 

If you want to use the S1 pricing plan, you can use automation to avoid being charged when it is not in use. 

Note that regardless of whether or not you have a web app attached to the plan, you will be billed for the service plan because you have reserved an instance with the characteristics described in the service plan. 

For an app service plan, in the free and shared tier your web apps share an instance with other web apps.  In the other tiers you will have a dedicated VM which you will pay for.  In the VM scenario, it doesn’t matter if you have web apps running or not as you will still be charged for a VM that is running.

You can change your app service plan in PowerShell using the following command:

Set-AzureRmAppServicePlan -ResourceGroupName $rg -Name $AppServicePlan -Tier Free

Please refer to the article below for more information:

Azure AppService Plan

Hope this information helps.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:26 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Manu, 

Do check the above solution and let us know if there is anything else related to this thread that we can assist you with, or else please feel free to mark it as an answer if any of the above responses have been of help! Thanks again for reaching out!

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:30 PM
    Owner