Schedule Jobs in SQL Azure RRS feed

• Question

• How to schedule a job in SQL Azure?

• Moved by Steve Marx Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:55 AM sql azure question (From:Windows Azure)
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:07 AM

Answers

• perpetualKid is correct, the most common way to schedule a job is to create a Windows Azure Worker Role.  Can you tell us what type of job you would like to be able to schedule in SQL Azure?

Liam

Sr. Program Manager, SQL Azure and Sync Framework - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:16 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can do this at that time, there is no SQL Agent available.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:15 PM
  • perpetualKid is correct, the most common way to schedule a job is to create a Windows Azure Worker Role.  Can you tell us what type of job you would like to be able to schedule in SQL Azure?

Liam

Sr. Program Manager, SQL Azure and Sync Framework - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Thanks perpetualKid & Liam.

Below is the scenario, I have two database.

One database is the Reporting database which is migrated to cloud (SQL Azure) and the other one is Master database which is in Onpremise.

Objective is to synchronous few tables from the Onpremise Master database to the Reporting database in cloud.

Our company is spanned across multiple Geographical location, each location has its own copy of Master database. we need to synchronous the specific tables from all the master database to the reporting database (centralized at cloud) at the scheduled time.

Please share the best practice or available tools or methods.

Appreciate your help,

Thanks Daya

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I think it's fairly common to just want to execute a procedure or something once a day, isn't it?

My use would be just that......run this stored procedure that does all this stuff that I need once per day.

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:09 AM
  • I would like to create new records in a database weekly, or want to send e-mails weekly.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Find interesting blog series. (it uses worker role to schedule jobs and basically is a light weight solution that emulates sql server agent)

part one

part two

part three

Paras Doshi, I blog about SQLAzure @ http://www.parasdoshi.com
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Hi Daya,

If you are interested in an online service, we have a SQL Azure monitoring service called Cotega that allows you to monitor your SQL Azure database (disk space usage, database availability, performance, etc).  But because of the scheduling capabilities of the service you can also easily have it schedule the execution of stored procedures which I think would help you accomplish what you need. 

Here is an example of how to do create a SQL Azure scheduled job.

If you have any questions about how to do this, please feel free to contact us at support AT cotega.com.

I hope that helps...

Monday, January 23, 2012 2:56 PM