none
Huge backups after moved to Azure using Backup to Azure tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

I have couple of servers with SQL Server 2008R2 and use Backup to Azure tool for upload database backup to Azure storage.

I have the database with the name iDatabase, it has size approx 5GB but after backup successfully done and moved to Azure

the size increased to 1024GB. As I understand the backup size must be less. Do you have any idea what the problem is?

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:36 PM

All replies

• Could you please share the document you referred to configure your SQL Server backups to Azure?

Also share the screenshot of the page where it shows the actual data backed up (5GB) and the increase data (1024GB) in Azure.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:46 PM
  • Hello, 

I'm posting on behalf of my colleague as his MSDN account is not yet verified. 

Local backup 

Backup in Azure

Thanks 

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:04 PM
  • What is the backup service being used to backup your SQL Server to Azure? Please share the document link you're referring to.

Is this SQL Server a physical machine or on VMware/Hyper-V? Details of your environment set up would help us provide you a quicker response to your query and possibly a resolution in a shorter span.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hello.

I use Ola Hallengren backup solution: https://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-backup.html. No other link I use because Backup Azure tool has 3 dialog windows and it is difficult to make a mistake during configuration.

This is Azure VM.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:09 AM
  • Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Hi there.

Nobody knows about AZT?

Monday, December 16, 2019 8:25 AM
  • Can anyone from Microsoft confirm if this tool is supported or is legacy?   

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 3:33 PM