none
Availability Group Listener Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I have two servers running SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016.

Server 1 Private IP: 10.80.237.213 VLAN 886

Server 2 Private IP: 10.187.96.51  VLAN 3273

Listener IP: 10.80.126.106 VLAN 886, VLAN spanning is ON, so I can ping see this IP from both Server 1 and Server 2 just fine.

When I try to setup the listener of the availability group with this IP, I receive an error saying it's outside the accepted range.  I'm thinking this is just a limitation of the GUI setup utility. 

Is there a workaround to use this sort of IP (one from an entirely different subnet) for a listener or do I have to use an IP from the exact same subnet as each node?

Friday, December 13, 2019 7:11 AM

Answers

• It's saying it's out of range because all of those IPs look to be in different subnets. If you have two servers each in different subnets then the listener will need one IP from each subnet as these IPs will be bound to the interfaces (windows clustering) and we can't bind an IP to an interface that doesn't match a possible range that we can bind.

The views, opinions, and posts do not reflect those of my company and are solely my own. No warranty, service, or results are expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by CJ Bosley Tuesday, December 17, 2019 12:13 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 8:25 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• It's saying it's out of range because all of those IPs look to be in different subnets. If you have two servers each in different subnets then the listener will need one IP from each subnet as these IPs will be bound to the interfaces (windows clustering) and we can't bind an IP to an interface that doesn't match a possible range that we can bind.

The views, opinions, and posts do not reflect those of my company and are solely my own. No warranty, service, or results are expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by CJ Bosley Tuesday, December 17, 2019 12:13 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 8:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for your response. We are working with IBM cloud to provide the IP's on the same subnet as originally requested.
    Friday, December 13, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Hi CJ Bosley,

>> Is there a workaround to use this sort of IP (one from an entirely different subnet) for a listener or do I have to use an IP from the exact same subnet as each node?

The listener will use one or more static IP addresses. Additional IP addresses are optional. To create an availability group listener across multiple subnets, for each subnet you must specify a static IP address in the listener configuration. Contact your network administrator to get these static IP addresses. Please refer to Configure a listener for an Always On availability group.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, December 16, 2019 6:31 AM