none
What should be the ProviderManifestToken for SqlServer 2017 in EDMX ? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we migrated the SQL server version in our DB servers from SQL server 2014 to SQL server 2017 , the EDMX (entity framework database first approach) which generated during Sqlserver 2014 added ProviderManifestToken as 2012 .

<Schema Namespace="" Provider="System.Data.SqlClient" ProviderManifestToken="2012" 

From the documentation of ProviderManifestToken  it is said ProviderManifestToken is used only in the offline scenerio’s , When a data store connection is opened, the provider can query for information to return the right manifest” .

So, should we do anything in Entity framework level to make sure that the latest improvement of SQLSERVER 2017 is accommodated during query generation or will it be taken care automatically by EF framework ?  .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 
    I tried creating EDMX file from SQL server 2017 from a new Database (checked the compatibility , it's Sqlserver 2017 ), still the ProviderManifestToken is 2012 , so if it is the version of the database , shouldn't be 2017 ?  i tried to edit it manually to 2017 , it's giving compile time error "The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance. Could not determine storage version"

Friday, November 22, 2019 11:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Vasanth kumar V,
    As official document states, ProviderManifestToken is a string that identifies that version of the database server being used.
    >>should we do anything in Entity framework level to make sure that the latest improvement of SQLSERVER 2017 is accommodated during query generation
    As to this, you can refer to Frédéric'answer.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 5:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Daniel ,

I tried creating EDMX file from SQL server 2017 from a new Database (checked the compatibility , it's Sqlserver 2017 ), still the ProviderManifestToken is 2012 , so i am bit confused ,so if it is the version of the database , shouldn't be 2017 ? , i tried to edit it manually to 2017 , it's giving compile time error "The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance. Could not determine storage version"

Monday, November 25, 2019 12:12 PM