Web Performance Testing - Improve Performance RRS feed

• Question

• It is a little bit off topic, but I am looking for any suggestion.

Is there any kind of tricks or tips to improve the website's performance?
    Through the change in the webtest recorded (both .webtest and .vb)?

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi JasonLai,

But I would like to know if there are any guideline that show us how to remove the unwanted web requests?

You can remove one web request through right clicking this web request and selecting ‘Delete’ in Web Test Editor. Reference: Web Performance Test Editor Overview

As I said before, one request failed in the web test, then the web test’s result is ‘Failed’. If one request failed in a web test run, then you need to know why this request failed through web test result and then correct this request rather than correcting other remaining requests.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, September 15, 2014 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:38 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Do you mean that you want to improve the performance of the actual test being run? Is the performance of the website during the test run significantly reduced from normal use? Is this in a load test?

If you are load testing and the test is running slowly then your think times may be unnecessarily long or (and this is the aim of tool) you have identified poor performance due to increased load.

However, if you are looking for general advice on improving website performance (i.e. the website is slow and the test shows that it is slow), then you can use the performance counters to highlight which parts of the website are the slowest or which parts of the system are insufficient (i.e. memory on the web server machine). This information can be used to either re-factor parts of the application to improve performance of the code, or to upgrade the infrastructure of the hosting machine.

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood your query.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Do you mean that you want to improve the performance of the actual test being run? Is the performance of the website during the test run significantly reduced from normal use? Is this in a load test?

If you are load testing and the test is running slowly then your think times may be unnecessarily long or (and this is the aim of tool) you have identified poor performance due to increased load.

However, if you are looking for general advice on improving website performance (i.e. the website is slow and the test shows that it is slow), then you can use the performance counters to highlight which parts of the website are the slowest or which parts of the system are insufficient (i.e. memory on the web server machine). This information can be used to either re-factor parts of the application to improve performance of the code, or to upgrade the infrastructure of the hosting machine.

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood your query.

Hi Dominic,

The question is that do I (for example, need to remove some unimportant requests from the webtest) with the likes of when I type the details, it will keep on showing the SysCallback function.

I tried to delete it and it shows no changes onto the webtest result.

Is it wrong to remove those?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:18 AM
  • Hi Jason,

From Dominic’s reply, you should confirm whose performance you want to improve, the website or the web test itself, then we can help you better.

Based on your original post, I feel that you want to improve a website’s performance through some changes in recorded web performance test.

If this is the case, web performance test is to test if a server responses correctly and the response is consistent with what we expected moreover we test the response speed, the stability and scalability. As Dominic said, you can run the web test within a load test, then use the performance counters to check and improve the performance of a website.

The question is that do I (for example, need to remove some unimportant requests from the webtest) with the likes of when I type the details,

If you don’t want to test those requests, then you can feel free to remove them from web test.

Web test results are related to results of all requests and other facts. If one request fails, then this web test fails.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:48 AM
  • Hi Jason,

From Dominic’s reply, you should confirm whose performance you want to improve, the website or the web test itself, then we can help you better.

Based on your original post, I feel that you want to improve a website’s performance through some changes in recorded web performance test.

If this is the case, web performance test is to test if a server responses correctly and the response is consistent with what we expected moreover we test the response speed, the stability and scalability. As Dominic said, you can run the web test within a load test, then use the performance counters to check and improve the performance of a website.

The question is that do I (for example, need to remove some unimportant requests from the webtest) with the likes of when I type the details,

If you don’t want to test those requests, then you can feel free to remove them from web test.

Web test results are related to results of all requests and other facts. If one request fails, then this web test fails.

Best regards,

Hi.. Thanks for the advice.. Your feel is spot on. Yes, I want to improve the web performance of the website through changes in the web performance test.

But I would like to know if there are any guideline that show us how to remove the unwanted web requests?

Last but not least, when one of the earlier http request has failed in the test, no matter how 'Correct' the remaining web requests, it will still consider Failed. I have no way of avoiding this problem as I need to make sure that each and every web requests has been recorded correctly?

Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:30 AM
  • Hi JasonLai,

You can remove one web request through right clicking this web request and selecting ‘Delete’ in Web Test Editor. Reference: Web Performance Test Editor Overview

As I said before, one request failed in the web test, then the web test’s result is ‘Failed’. If one request failed in a web test run, then you need to know why this request failed through web test result and then correct this request rather than correcting other remaining requests.

Best regards,

• Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, September 15, 2014 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:38 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:29 AM