Fatal error installing Silverlight 2, Beta 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

When trying to install Silverlight (silverlight_chainer.exe) I'm getting a fatal error and the installation peforms a rollback.
    I do not have KB949325 installed.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Application.dll is version 9.0.21022.8

I'm running Vista updated with all latest fixes. I'm running Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM

Does anyone know how to fix this?

This is from my log file: Created new ExePerformer for Exe item
    Action: Performing Action on Exe at c:\5a5c4e676d64122d833eeb\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe
    Launching CreateProcess with command line = c:\5a5c4e676d64122d833eeb\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe /q
    Original exit code: c:\5a5c4e676d64122d833eeb\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe returned non-MSI error code: 0x5de - The event log file is full.
    c:\5a5c4e676d64122d833eeb\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe - Exe installer does not provide a log file name
    Exe (c:\5a5c4e676d64122d833eeb\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe) failed with 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation. :
    PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
    Action complete
    Action: Performing actions on all Items...
    Action complete
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), Fatal error during installation.
    Action complete
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

I know this doesn't help you - but I thought I would let you know that I am getting exactly the same error.  I am running Vista SP1 with VS 2008 Professional.

I checked and cleared all the event logs - however they were set to automatically overwrite anyway.  Will let you know if I get to the bottom of it.

Mark

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:25 PM
  • OK, I got it installed.  I just had to uninstall the Silverlight 2 Beta 2 runtime first.  Hopefully that will work for you also.

Mark

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:33 PM
  • I had the same problem. This solution worked fine for me !!!

Thanks,

Emanuel

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Hmmm!!! Please Make sure that you have not installed any previous version of Silverlight Plugin, sometime it might be already automatically updated in Windows update,

So try to cheack and uninstall it and try to installed it again.

Thanks

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Dear,

After my experience in such error you have to do the followings:

1- Uninistall al silverlight SDKs and runtimes. (LIke other saids).

2- Manually remove keys in Regedit which are related to silverlight. (Be Carefull).

3- Run the installer as administrator.

Tell me if that works for, cause it works good for my friends.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:06 AM
  • Hi:

Thanks for your reporting. It's a known issue that we're now investigating.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=353306

You're welcome to add some comments there.

Regards

Monday, July 14, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Thanks!

Uninstalling the runtime first solved it. (sorry for the late reply, I have been on summer holliday, great to be back and find the solution to this issue right away :-)

Best regards, TEK

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:48 AM
  • 1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desk"font-family:'Bell MT','serif'; font-size:13pt"> 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue".

4. Click "Start". In the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @Echo =========================
    @pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.
    7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
    8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

9. Please restart the computer and install Silverlight again from to the following website:

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:54 AM