none
Oh for G's sake, why is uninstalling SQL Server 2016 such a ridiculous MESS?! RRS feed

• Question

• I just happily upgraded SQL Server 2016 to 2017, also adding Management Studio and Server Data Tools. All went flawlessly.

Though it is rather bizarre to get 3 menu's installed:

• - SQL Server 2017
    • - SQL Server 2017 RC1
    • - SQL Server Tools 17

After testing, I obvious wanted to remove SQL Server 2016. And there I got into the SWAMP.

AGAIN, as I faintly remembered from previous times, and was signified by old remnants of various installations .

> There is NO simple uninstall option in the Programs menu.

> The Installation Center has NO option for removing.

> There are NINE components in Programs and Features list, some apparently for 32 bits, others for 64. And a lot of them FAIL.

Trying to Uninstall/Change components.

• - SQL Server 2016 : can't do anything.
    • - SQL Server 2016 (64-bit): seems to work, but is still in the list afterwards.
    • - Various other parts: despite some initial error messages, succeeded.
    • - SQL Server 2016 Setup: Fails, mentioning a invisible 2016 parts that are supposed to depend on it.

So I am still stuck with 3 2016 parts I am not able to remove. JEEZ!!

I am not the only one, I have found various complaints about the same thing, some already YEARS old.

Personally I am still stuck with components of SQL Server 2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016!

An attempt to clean-up that old junk.

• - Trying to remove 2008 Setup Support Files: I get an error message about 2016! Incredible!!
    • - Wanting to remove 2012 Native Client: I get an error message about 2017! ...
    • - Trying to remove 2014 Setup: I get an error message about 2016! ...

This is Uninstall HELL.

PLEASE improve that!!

Friday, October 6, 2017 11:29 AM

All replies

• Robertie,

So you upgraded to SQl Server 2017 from SQL Server 2016 right ? If that is so I would say leave the components as it is and there is definitely no need to uninstall setup support files.

I totally agree uninstalling sql server with multiple instances is sometimes messy

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, October 6, 2017 11:53 AM