high Total Memory usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an SQL server 2005 64b running on windows 2003 server with 8GB RAM.

I see that The percentage of physical and virtual memory has reached an alert status (93%), which means that A high percentage of Total Memory usage indicates a memory bottleneck.

How can I config the  Total Memory usage of the operating system? and also the SQL server use 83% of the total memory. the max server memory is the default of SQL server 2005 - the default.

Can someone advice on this please?

thank you,

Tomer

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:48 PM

Answers

• If this is a dedicated SQL Server, then allowing SQL Server to use 95% of the Server Memory is not a problem.  If you have full text indexing installed, then you should reserve some of your physical memory for the OS and Full Text Indexing processes.  I reserve roughly 512MB of physical Ram for external processes by setting the Max Server Memory = 7680 MB in the SQL Server Properties.  You also should Enable Lock Pages in Memory on your server if you have not already done this.  Also look at this blog entry regarding this.  SQL will use as much physical RAM as you allow it.  It was designed to cache data in memory where it is available much faster than if it had to be read from disk consistently.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:00 PM