none
How to extract t-sql statement from RDL file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a certain report in SSRS that has a very broad select running that it keeps crashing the system. I have downloaded the RDL file from the Report server web service url however, I am not sure how I am going to extract the t-sql script (which is a simple select statement) from this file. Or is there another way I can see how the select statement is written? I have tried opening this file using Visual studio but there is nothing t-sql in there. I'm also not sure how I can get an RPT file out of the report. Can someone help?

Regards, RayPak

Friday, September 20, 2019 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi RayPak,

This would depend on the datasets.

If it is a shared dataset, we could only find a SharedDataset Reference in the rdl file, which specifies the sharde dataset name in the server.

If it is an embedded dataset, you could search for the dataset name or SELECT in the rdl. You could find the SQL Query in <CommandText>  .

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:43 AM
  • You can query the T-SQL Statements directly from ReportServer database: List datasets with command text for all SSRS reports

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, September 20, 2019 5:31 AM