none
Unable to delete my vault if there are soft deleted items in the vault? RRS feed

• Question

• Created a Backup vault  for a  VM, Restored  the VM from backup. When trying to delete the backup vault it says soft deleted is enabled. So couldn't able to delete the vault. Tired to disable soft delete option but it is not allowing to do. Getting below error message

Recovery Services vault cannot be deleted as there are backup items in soft deleted state in the vault. The soft deleted items are permanently deleted after 14 days of delete operation. Please try vault deletion after the backup items are permanently deleted and there is no item in soft deleted state left in the vault.For more information, refer https://aka.ms/SoftDeleteCloudWorkloads. The registered items are : VM01 Unregister all containers from the vault and then retry to delete vault. For instructions, see https://aka.ms/AB-AA4ecq5

• Edited by RameshkumarJ Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:47 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry for the inconvenienc caused! We have started rolling out updates to Soft Delete feature: 

To permanently delete the soft deleted backup items,

1. Disable soft delete

2. Go to your vault > Backup items 

3. Select option Undelete

4. A window will appear. Select Undelete.

5. Choose Delete backup data to permanently delete the backup data

Follow the instructions from this link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-security-feature-cloud#permanently-deleting-soft-deleted-backup-items

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Have you had a chance to see the previous? If the suggestions were helpful, click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote. Feel free to reach out to us if you've additional questions in this regard.
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Hi RameshkumarJ,

I had the same problem, you have two choices wait 14 day and after you able to remove Vault completely and create new Vault and create backup jobs or you should send request to Azure support and too it's take 3 - 4 after that product group has confirmed that the Soft delete feature was disabled for the Vault, so you should be able to register the VMs to new the Vault   

thank you

Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:35 PM
  • @RameshkumarJ and @Mooner09 You don't need to contact support for any assistance. Steps provided above should help fix this issue.

Friday, November 29, 2019 10:34 AM
  • I did the same step and unfortunately did not help, in my situation, since I had to delete from the old Vault all my VM's backups and created the New Vault and try to add the same VM's , I'm not able to see any my VM's until then Azure Product Team make changes in the backend and it's take 48 business hours. And I send request to to delete the items marked as "soft-delete" in the current vault by raising a request 
    Friday, November 29, 2019 3:14 PM
  • Sorry, I got it what do you mean how to remove if you disabling security feature soft delete on Azure portal , yept I did not try , but it's cool to know , thank you ^_^
    Friday, November 29, 2019 3:24 PM
  • just for update , I tested and it's working, cool
    Friday, November 29, 2019 6:34 PM
  • @Mooner09 Thanks for confirming. 

If  the previous response was helpful, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

And, if you have any further query do let us know. 

Monday, December 2, 2019 11:13 AM