none
Retention period after stopping backups and decomissioning physical server RRS feed

• Question

• We've been backing up On-Premises servers using Azure Backup.  If I stop the backup and retain the data, will it continue to age out per the retention period?  I want to retain the data, but also want to ensure that it gets smaller over time.

We're going to decommission a server completely.  Is there a way in the Azure Recovery Services Vault to see how much backed up data is related to this physical server and if that number is decreasing over time?

Thank you.

• Edited by Jinseng99 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:59 AM updated title
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:58 AM

All replies

• If I stop the backup and retain the data, will it continue to age out per the retention period? 
    -Yes

I want to retain the data, but also want to ensure that it gets smaller over time.
    -This depends on retention policy you've set. If you've defined short retention period, the backups will become smaller over time.

Is there a way in the Azure Recovery Services Vault to see how much backed up data is related to this physical server and if that number is decreasing over time?
    -You can configure Azure Backup reports

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:06 AM
  • If the previous response was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote. Feel free to reach out to us if you've additional questions in this regard.
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:45 PM