none
Counting number of users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've made an offline application which doesn't need install. It's Wpf portable app. I can see number of download in my github but It's not what I want, because use can download and copy app to his/her friend. I'm looking for a way to know how many users are using my app. In other words, How many users run my app at lest for one time. My project is open source. 

what should I do?

Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:07 AM

All replies

• You can try using some form of analytics in your app.  Here is a google analytics library you can use in your app

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Gappalytics/

Application insights

https://oren.codes/2019/03/29/telemetry-in-desktop-apps/

• Edited by Ken Tucker Sunday, October 13, 2019 12:33 PM
    Sunday, October 13, 2019 12:33 PM
  • I don't want to be involved in new library. I just want to update download count badge in github, whenever a new user run my app for the first time. I don't need complex analytics. Nothing helped me more than an easy example.

Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:36 PM

• Hi    Ayub1987,

>>I don't want to be involved in new library. I just want to update download count badge in github, whenever a new user run my app for the first time. I don't need complex analytics. Nothing helped me more than an easy example.

As far as I know, There is no direct way to count.

The usual way of thinking, we will use the following ways.

After the client starts up, the machine hardware identification ( network card MAC + hard disk ID + CPU id) is combined to generate a series of codes, which can basically be determined to be unique. The software sends the machine code to the server segment.  Statistics by looking up records in the database.

>>I just want to update download count badge in github, 

If you want to update download count badge in github, you may need to go to the github help center to find the related API.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Yong Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:46 AM