none
Uninstall one specific Visual Studio installation

Question

• I have both Visual Studio 2017 and 2019 installed. If I want to uninstall one specific version using the command-line, both versions are being uninstalled. Is there a way to uninstall just one?

The command I use: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vs_installer.exe" /uninstall

thanks

Gert

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Gert,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I made some testing in my side. Please check this doc: Use command-line parameters to install Visual Studio and we can use the uninstall parameter to install the specific version.

1. Open the CMD with administrator permission
    2. Type the command like: vs_community__1434618821.1554106053 (1).exe uninstall --installPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxx" --quiet

Note: the xxxx.exe and installpath should replace with the product edition and installation location that you are installing.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ssdshirt Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:44 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Gert,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I made some testing in my side. Please check this doc: Use command-line parameters to install Visual Studio and we can use the uninstall parameter to install the specific version.

1. Open the CMD with administrator permission
    2. Type the command like: vs_community__1434618821.1554106053 (1).exe uninstall --installPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxx" --quiet

Note: the xxxx.exe and installpath should replace with the product edition and installation location that you are installing.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ssdshirt Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:44 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Thanks a lot Sara, this works. I had tried to add this path

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017

But I hadn't added the 'xxx'

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Hi ssdshirt,

We are so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thanks for your confirmation.

The 'xxx' is the name of the VS version like Community/Enterprise/Professional, sorry for this misunderstanding.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:30 AM