none
Error connecting to sql server 2016 from a windows 2003 client RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting following error when trying to connect to a SQL server 2016 instance from a windows 2003 machine.

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to epd.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10054)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=10054&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Here is the client tool version information:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.086.3959.00 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 6.0 
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3662
    Operating System 5.2.3790

Any points would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:07 PM

All replies

• The most likely culprit is that you have TLS 1.0 on the old and dusty Win2003 server.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:38 PM
  • Hi DrupalGuru,

It does not support connecting to sql server2016 from windows server2003. I suggest you use another operating system.

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Thank you Dedmon.

Do you happen to have a link that shows that its not supported?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:52 PM
  • Thank you Erland.

Is the TLS 1.0 should be enabled or disabled on the client server (Win2003)? I just checked the TLS 1.0 settings on it and its empty so I am guessing it is currently enabled? There are no registry folders for the TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 on that machine.

The TLS 1.0 is enabled on the target sql server (SQL 2016) due to the other application databases on that server that needed it. The client applications needed the TLS 1.0 enabled (even though not recommended per the security best practices).

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:07 PM
  • Thank you Dedmon.

Do you happen to have a link that shows that its not supported?

Windows 2003 is not supported, it is that simple.

Then again, I was just able to connect SQL 2016 from a VM that runs Windows 2000. And I have certainly not configured TLS 1.2 on that machine... So that proves that it *may* work.

The error message indicates that you find the SQL Server instance, but then something goes wrong during pre-login. Are you using Windows authentication? Could you try with SQL Server authentication instead? It could be an issue in the communication with the AD.

(In my test above, I used Windows authentication. But I don't have an AD, but these are machines in a workgroup where username/password are the same on both machines.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:00 PM