none
Different SharePoint Search results from two multilingual sites for all users except admins RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

We are facing a critical issue in one of our SharePoint sites. It's a Multilingual Publishing portal with English and Arabic variances configured.

Issue is,

Different SharePoint Search results from two multilingual sites for all users except admins.

Target is to get the same content in both English and Arabic search pages for the same keyword as search is performed only at one content source (same site collection).

Search pages are configured as,

https://SiteCollection/Variance Site

https://xyz/en-us/pages/search.aspx and https://xyz/ar-ae/pages/search.aspx

Whenever a search is performed forming of one or multiple search keywords, results are different in English search page compared to Arabic search page.

For example,

If I search for the word "Competitiveness" in English site it gives 734 results from both English and Arabic site content.

If I search for the word "Competitiveness" in Arabic site it gives 518 results from both English and Arabic site content.

There are no query filters applied or custom query built in search result WebPart.

Weird thing is if same search is performed with Admin account results are shown of same numbers in both English and Arabic search.

SharePoint Site has Anonymous Authentication enabled.

Tried following to fix the issue,

1. Resent Search Index

2. Full Crawl

3. Created new search pages in both English and Arabic sites and added search results webpart, search box, search navigation and refiner webparts in case some filters are applied on old search.aspx

4. Default search settings at both English and Arabic sites.

5. Created Search pages with just search results webpart in both English and Arabic sites.

It will be great to get some expert advise on this.

Regards,

Syed Abbas

• Edited by AbsNaq Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:29 AM More details added which might help others in understanding the issue.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hi AbsNaq,

Depending on your description, the English and Arabic pages display the same number of search results when the administrator account performs the search.

Then the problem is most likely due to insufficient permissions.

You need to make sure that the user has permissions in both sites.

If the user does not have permission to access some files on the Arabic page, he will not search for them.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:30 AM
  • Hi Itch,

I doubt it's permission issue. As I mentioned sitecollection has Anonymous Access enabled.

I have narrowed down the issue to exact search and Free Text Search.

Suppose if in English site, I search for,

Itch Sun

It gives me 3 results. In Arabic site Itch Sun gives me 17 results.

If I search for "Itch Sun" in arabic site it gives me exact 3 results matching English site results.

Search results in English sites are showing as exact match treated as search keyword in double quotes "" but in Arabic site it performs Free Text Search. There is no custom query rule defined in both the English and Arabic sites.

Is there a way to either make English site perform Free Text Search or Arabic site to perform Exact Match Search?

Regards, Syed Gulam Abbas

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Multilingual search is complicated.  Since FAST was integrated in SharePoint 2013, some of its great linguistic capability is automatic.  One of the features is the Word Breaker.  That's what tells it that "Europe's"  should match the work "Europe" despite the extra characters and that "data base" should match "database".

This is language-specific.  If you are searching in English and the document is in English, it will apply the English word breaker.  It will also apply the stemmer, which tells it that "goes" and "went" are the same word (just an example, I think it deals mostly with nouns not verbs).  If you're not searching in English, it may not apply those rules, so we typically see more English results from accounts that are searching in English than when searching in other languages.

How does it know what language the document is in?  It assigns it when it is indexing, it is the managed property "DetectedLanguage".

How does it know what language you are searching in?  That is a mystery that I have not fully worked out.  It might use the language of the site with the search webpart.  It might use the language of the user's profile, in the "Language and Region" section.  It might also use the mysterious "My Content and Search Languages" under the Advanced Language Settings.  That's never worked for me but others tell me it works for them.  For anonymous users or those without a setting, it would use the browser language or the site's regional or language settings.

I know this is just a partial answer, but I hope it's a useful starting point.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:26 PM
  • Hi Syed,

I am checking your situation here.

Any progress on your troubleshooting?

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best Regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 28, 2019 9:34 AM