none
Ordered list stop running after 30 minutes and runsettings file does not effective RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently I run tests within Visual Stduio 2017 (without TFS) but I have problems with ordering, so I started to use ordered file but this time I had timeout problem

So I started to use ordered test list and I see stops execution after 30 minutes so I tried RunSettings file as described in below post but nothing change, can someone help me ? How can I b sure runsettings file is correct and working

I prepared a settings file with runsettings extension and selected from Visual Studio but still execution stop after 30 minutes, I also tried testsessiontimeout in runsettings file and for individual test methods in the code but no help.

<TestSessionTimeout>3600000</TestSessionTimeout>

here is my runsettings file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<RunSettings>

<RunConfiguration>

<LegacySettings><Execution> <Timeouts testTimeout="3600000"/> </Execution> </LegacySettings>

</RunConfiguration>

</RunSettings> 

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi rastek,

Sorry for delay in reply.

For your requirement, I suggest you could try to unselect runsettings file and use [Timeout(milliseconds)] attribute to set a timeout on every individual test method which you want to set time restriction. Please refer to the format below:

[TestMethod]
    [Timeout(3600000)] //Milliseconds
    Public void My_Test()
    {…}

If this issue still persists, feel free to let me know.

In addition, according to the official document: Elements of a .runsettings file, it seems TestSessionTimeout could work well without any restriction.

BTW, I have also found some similar issues, thought they are old topics and maybe not use VS 2017, but it seems they have the similar issue like you (stop at 30 minutes). If possible you could also open Visual Studio 2017 -> Help -> Send Feedback -> Report a Problem to the product team.

Hope all above could help you. Any feedback would be great expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi, no this one has quick replied actually, thanks.

Timeout per test defines timeout for every indivial test , not for all tests in orderedlist. That answer also given int eh page if you have look at the page.

I also look hat Stackoverflow page before and I already tried solutin provided that but there is no TestSettings under Add New Item ??

If you don't have one, you can add it to the solution by using the right-click on solution -> Add New Item -> TestSettings menu.

BTW, what you mean by restriction ?

it seems TestSessionTimeout could work well without any restriction.

• Edited by rastek Friday, October 11, 2019 8:08 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi rastek,

Thank you for reply.

As tianyu's suggestion, the "TestSessionTimeout" could work for Coded UI Test instead of "Timeouts":

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <RunSettings>
        <RunConfiguration>
          <TestSessionTimeout>3600000</TestSessionTimeout>
        </RunConfiguration>
    </RunSettings>

Then go to Menu Test -> Test Settings, then select test settings file

BTW, for testsetting file, we suggest you could try to install "web performance and load testing tools" components in visual studio Installer, then try to re-add testsettings file into solution

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:57 AM