none
Error after re-orderng columns in my Powerpivot 'Edit Table Properties' MDX Statement RRS feed

• Question

• Using Excel2016. I previously created a Power Pivot table via a connection to an OLAP cube using the Design tool in Edit Table properties in Power Pivot. I subsequently opened it and added more columns using the Query Designer. As my columns were all over the place in the MDX statement I rearranged them in the MDX statment window (not the Query Designer) into a logical order so I could easily see which columns I was selecting in source table order. I validated the adjusted code and all was good.

I have gone back in to add some more columns but cannot now use the Design option as I'm presented with an error message:

Cannot load the query designer. An error occurred while parsing EntityName. line 24. position 71..

Is there anyway I can get the Query designer working? If not i'm going to have to recreate the table and all the post data load measures and that is going to take up a great deal of time.

Any suggestions on getting the editor to work or quick ways to recreate the table so that the issue is not impacting would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Gary

• Edited by Gary_McB Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:34 AM

All replies

• Is there anyway I can get the Query designer working? If not i'm going to have to recreate the table and all the post data load measures and that is going to take up a great deal of time.

No, once you manually edit the text for a query you cannot go back to the drag/drop designer. It's possible to make manual edits for which there is no equivalent setting in the UI, so once you change anything in the query (even just re-ordering columns) the designer marks the query as being manually edited and you can never go back to the drag/drop mode. 

So unfortunately you either have to add the rest of your columns manually to the MDX statement or you have to re-create the query again.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 11:14 PM