none
SharePoint 2013 - before SharePoint patches installation, how to determine what databases needed to be backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

This question come from our DBA team and I hope to find some answers to it.

Periodically,  we install new SharePoint patches whether they are cumulate update or security patches on our SharePoint servers.

To have a proactive and capable way to roll back in case of unexpected critical issues arise after the installation,  we always do a full backup of all SharePoint databases (config DB, SA DBs,  Content DBs, etc..). 
    This work well until now that our SharePoint content have growth tremendously and the total backup spaces of all the databases have reach to several Terabytes.  

The full backup now take  more than ten hours so I would think in the case if roll back is needed, the same amount of time will take to restore.   so if using the full backup for roll back,  the system will be down for a whole day even.

The question are:

• Do we have to backup all SharePoint databases before install new SharePoint patches?
    • Can we backup just the databases that the installed patches have changed?
    • How do we know which database to backup?
    • For a SharePoint update patch,  how do we know which database will be updated by this patch?

Any advice or comment to help me answer these question will be really helpful.

Thanks

Swanl

Friday, December 6, 2019 5:02 PM

Answers

• The Config and Admin databases cannot be restored. The Usage database does not need to be restored. You should expect all databases, due to schema changes, being updated by any particular SharePoint patch.

You can use Backup-SPFarm -ConfigurationOnly to take a config only backup. You can then back up all other databases (sans the above). This would allow you to build a new farm should something go wrong.

I would suggest you identify why your backups are taking so long. With NVMe being a common storage solution, even with TB+ databases, it shouldn't be that slow.

But ultimately, if you have a specific issue, you should open a case with Microsoft Support before you entertain the idea of restoring databases.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, December 6, 2019 8:23 PM

All replies

• The Config and Admin databases cannot be restored. The Usage database does not need to be restored. You should expect all databases, due to schema changes, being updated by any particular SharePoint patch.

You can use Backup-SPFarm -ConfigurationOnly to take a config only backup. You can then back up all other databases (sans the above). This would allow you to build a new farm should something go wrong.

I would suggest you identify why your backups are taking so long. With NVMe being a common storage solution, even with TB+ databases, it shouldn't be that slow.

But ultimately, if you have a specific issue, you should open a case with Microsoft Support before you entertain the idea of restoring databases.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, December 6, 2019 8:23 PM
  • Thanks Trevor

your information and explanation are very helpful.

Will do

Swanl

Monday, December 9, 2019 5:17 PM