none
Where is the VS executable kept? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed VS 2019 in a clean machine. It installed fine, but didn't put a shortcut on the desktop which I thought was odd. And I can't find the executable anywhere in m program files folders, unless it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.

Also, when it installed I ticked the box to start after installing, and it didn't. Bug? Installation problem?

Peter

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:35 PM

Answers

• Yes, devenv.exe is the main Visual Studio executable.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Best in class Visual Studio extensions and tools

• Marked as answer by ptoye Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:08 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:26 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I have something to confirm with you. Could you tell me what are your Windows system and your VS2019 edition (Community, Professional or Enterprise)? Could you find the installed VS2019 and VS2019 installer on your start menu?

In addition, before you install Visual Studio, please make sure that you have finished the steps below firstly:

#1. Turn off your anti-virus  software during installation.

#2. Try to update your windows to latest version

#3. Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation, and don’t forget to turn it on later.

#4. Clean your %temp% folder, then, run the setup with Administrator privilege.

>> It installed fine, but didn't put a shortcut on the desktop which I thought was odd. And I can't find the executable anywhere in m program files folders, unless it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.

#1. I suppose you could create a shortcut from start menu: find the Visual Studio 2019 from start menu -> select open file location -> select Visual Studio 2019 application and move it to your desktop.

#2. If the above method doesn’t work, you could have a try with the following steps: select devenv.exe file you have found -> right-click “pin to taskbar” or “create shortcut”.

>> Also, when it installed I ticked the box to start after installing, and it didn't. Bug? Installation problem?

## As I know, Visual Studio will launch after installing. If it failed, I suggest you could first try to repair your VS2019: open VS2019 installer -> select More -> then click repair and reopen VS again.

Hope all above will help you and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Anna 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ptoye Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:13 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:27 AM

All replies

• Yes, devenv.exe is the main Visual Studio executable.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Best in class Visual Studio extensions and tools

• Marked as answer by ptoye Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:08 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:26 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I have something to confirm with you. Could you tell me what are your Windows system and your VS2019 edition (Community, Professional or Enterprise)? Could you find the installed VS2019 and VS2019 installer on your start menu?

In addition, before you install Visual Studio, please make sure that you have finished the steps below firstly:

#1. Turn off your anti-virus  software during installation.

#2. Try to update your windows to latest version

#3. Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation, and don’t forget to turn it on later.

#4. Clean your %temp% folder, then, run the setup with Administrator privilege.

>> It installed fine, but didn't put a shortcut on the desktop which I thought was odd. And I can't find the executable anywhere in m program files folders, unless it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.

#1. I suppose you could create a shortcut from start menu: find the Visual Studio 2019 from start menu -> select open file location -> select Visual Studio 2019 application and move it to your desktop.

#2. If the above method doesn’t work, you could have a try with the following steps: select devenv.exe file you have found -> right-click “pin to taskbar” or “create shortcut”.

>> Also, when it installed I ticked the box to start after installing, and it didn't. Bug? Installation problem?

## As I know, Visual Studio will launch after installing. If it failed, I suggest you could first try to repair your VS2019: open VS2019 installer -> select More -> then click repair and reopen VS again.

Hope all above will help you and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Anna 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ptoye Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:13 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:27 AM
  • Thanks Sergey.

Peter

Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Thanks Anna. I'd already used Sergey's hint. I did a repair, but i don't know if that changed anything. The original installation asked for a reboot so that might have stopped the auto-startup.

I find it odd that VS doesn't put a shortcut on the desktop - it must be the only application that doesn't want to be known about! Most app installers ask you if you want a shortcut.

Peter

Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I am glad to hear that your issue is solved.

In addition, for the shortcut during installation, I suggest you could go to Help -> Send Feedback -> Suggest a Feature… and post your requirement to the Visual Studio product team. Engineers there will help you and try their best to meet your requirement.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for helping us making Visual Studio better.

Best Regards,

Anna

Friday, December 6, 2019 9:26 AM