Silverlight Media Player Streaming Source


  • The Silverlight SDK indicates that you can use an mms: prefix to the URL, as source for the Media Player. So far I have not been able to get this to work. I'm using the following property: Source="mms://".

    Does this look wrong to you?

    Friday, December 21, 2007 2:05 PM

All replies

  • It looks right. Is there actually a windows streaming server running at that location? Does the URL play in windows media player? Is it using a supported codec?

    Friday, December 21, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Yes, it's a standard Windows Media Video fie. The URL is playing in WMP, but nothing happens in Silverlight.


    Friday, December 21, 2007 6:14 PM
  • test your silverlight stream here:

    Make sure its encoded correctly. Unfortunately, just because its a windows media file does not mean its Silverlight compatible. Make sure your Windows Media Server is streaming it in the correct format too. If you havent yet, download the SDK and in there is a list off all the appropriate formats for the video and audio.

    Friday, December 21, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Something odd is happening. I get the following errors from your test player.

    Line: 40
    Error: AG_E_RUNTIME_SETVALUE : Source

    Silverlight error message    
    ErrorCode: 2203
    ErrorType: RuntimeError      
    Message: AG_E_RUNTIME_SETVALUE    
    MethodName: Source    

    I have seen errors several times before while attempting to play Silverlight streams on Microsoft's site. I've already uninstalled the Silverlght runtime and re-installed it. It didn't help.


    Friday, December 21, 2007 11:44 PM
  • its the way the video source or the way windows media server is encoding the stream. how did you encode the file Expression Encoder or something else?

    whats the url to your stream?

    Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:26 AM
  • Here's a stream encoded with Expression encoder.


    And here's one encoded using Windows Media Encoder.


    Neither one seems to work from my borwser. I'd apprectate if you would post a stream that works so I can eliminate my browser as the cause of this.


    Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:24 PM
  • I tried and it failed also. Have you tried it just as a progressive download? Just add the file to a your site and set the Mediaelement's source directly to file name "advertise.wmv" If that works then its the way your Windows Media Server is formatting the stream. If not then I am guessing that its the way the video was created to begin with. How was it originally created and what with? Was it a separate video file and mp3 audio and then rendered? If so, maybe convert the audio from mp3 to wma and then render together.

    try this stream:

    Maybe it has these:

    Unsupported Formats

    The following formats are not supported:

    • Interlaced video content
    • Windows Media Screen
    • Windows Media Audio Professional
    • Windows Media Voice
    • Combination of Windows Media Video and MP3 (WMV video + MP3 audio)
    • Windows Media Video using odd (not divisible by two) dimensioned frames; for example, 127 x 135
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 10:37 AM
  • The player seems to work properly when I add a video directly. I don't understand what the problem is but there aren't any settings in Windows Media Server to address this probem. At least I know it's not a client issue.

    Regardless, I just wanted to thank you for your assistance and for the test player you provided.


    Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:17 PM
  • Hi Fred, I found this old thread from May, I dont know if it helps with your issues. I wonder if you change from mms to rtsp or http it would work


    Monday, December 24, 2007 9:50 AM