MSI UN-install Error: SxsUninstallCA. Return value 3. RRS feed

• Question

• My MSI UN-install gives me an error message that it ended prematurely because of an error.  When I look at the log, I see:

Action start 10:35:33: SxsUninstallCA.

then a few thousand lines with no obvious errors and then finally:

Action ended 10:35:56: SxsUninstallCA. Return value 3.

Any ideas what is going on here?

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Monday, August 2, 2010 9:42 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:32 PM

Answers

• It's something to do with the VC runtime merge modules that I assume you have in your setup. I don't know if there's a fix for this, but you could:

1. Post in a Visual C++ forum, or search there. Maybe it's come up before.

2. Use setup.exe to install the VC runtime from the redist as part of prerequisites instead of using merge modules.

Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by Jing0 Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:36 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• Also, I should mention that if I use Orca and remove the entry for 'SxsUninstallCA', then the UN-install works just fine, without giving the error message.  But, of course, I would like to have the SxSUninstall custom action take place.

I'm new to MSI and WIX, and have inherrited this project with this strange un-install error.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Hi,

I have seen a warining in MSDN document.

Specifying the 'v', 'x', and '!' logging flags in the value assigned to the MsiLogging property can significantly increase the amount of time it takes for a maintenance mode installation process (modify, repair, uninstall, upgrade) to run for packages that require administrative privileges or have numerous/complicated custom actions.

--from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370322(VS.85).aspx community content part

Do you have this flags in your Msilogging property?Does this helps?

Best regards,

Ling Wang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 6:36 PM
  • It's something to do with the VC runtime merge modules that I assume you have in your setup. I don't know if there's a fix for this, but you could:

1. Post in a Visual C++ forum, or search there. Maybe it's come up before.

2. Use setup.exe to install the VC runtime from the redist as part of prerequisites instead of using merge modules.

Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by Jing0 Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:36 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:49 PM