Silverlight prompts to install often

Question

• Using IE 11, Windows 7 Pro - I often get a prompt to install Silverlight. I already have it installed so I uninstall it then reinstall the latest version and then after a few days I get the prompt again.  Sometimes the link to install Silverlight does not work and I have to look up an alternate path to download the software, or switch browsers to download Silverlight.  Sometimes IE prompts to install Silverlight but when I switch to Mozilla, I don't get the prompt for a while - then all of sudden I get the prompt in Mozilla. This becomes very frustrating and a lot of time is wasted trying to find a solution.

Any ideas what the real cause might be? Thanks 

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi DLShapiro,

According to the Silverlight 5 System Requirements, IE 11 on Windows 7 sp1 will support Silverlight 5 until 10/12/2021.

So please check your IE settings first.

Please open About Internet Explorer to make sure it is the latest version. If not, please update it.

Then please check whether the Silverlight plugin is enabled when the installation notes prompted. If it is enabled, please make sure the IE enable the plugins always.

In addition, please check whether there has any other programs on your machine change IE settings which disabled Silverlight.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:11 AM