none
Silverlight stopped working, won't re-install?

Question

•      I've been streaming movies on Netflix for several years with no problem, but a couple of days ago, I got on the site and kept getting asked to install Silverlight.  When this didn't work, I contacted Netflix, and they had me try to un-install and re-install Silverlight to no avail, and even had me try that using Firefox.  All the info I've found on the web pretty much says the same thing, try to un-install and re-install.  Calling Microsoft was no help because all they want to do is charge me for repair on something that was working fine, free to begin with, and should download properly on their own product.  The one odd thing I've noticed is Silverlight almost instantly loads to 90%, waits about a minute, then tells me it's failed. Despite this, it DOES show up in my loaded programs, yet still doesn't run.  Any ideas as to what would suddenly cause something that was working fine suddenly crash, and why it now won't let me install?  Thanks in advance for any help!   (Running Windows XP, IE8 if needed) 

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you update the Netflix plugin yet. I think may be there has different version between the netflixa and silverlight. Please right click on the video in netfilx and select silverlight to check the version it used. Then download corresponding silverlight on website. And you can Uninstall IE8 or replace it with other browser to see whether that can resolve your problem.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you update the Netflix plugin yet. I think may be there has different version between the netflixa and silverlight. Please right click on the video in netfilx and select silverlight to check the version it used. Then download corresponding silverlight on website. And you can Uninstall IE8 or replace it with other browser to see whether that can resolve your problem.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:08 AM
  • 1: Which Browser are You using? Firefox last weeks quit supporting SilverLight with update to Ver 52.  Google Chrome dropped support for Silverlight a year ago. Microsofts new Web Browser MS EDGE does NOT support Silverlight.

2: You can download a copy of Firefox 52.0 ESR (Firefox Extended Support Release 52.0ESR) which has re enabled Silverlight.

SEE web page https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

3: Internet Explorer 11 still works but We have found it to be to unstable to trust at this time and is a lot slower than Firefox. We need Firefox as an alternative to IE 11.

4: Firefox will only give access to 52.0 ESR to people that sign up with them to use it and will be available for approx 1 year.

5: In the mean time we are in the search for software to run our clinics that do NOT use Silverlight.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 7:19 PM