none
Is there Silverlight support for Windows 10 Edge?

Answers

All replies

• Hi _Alex9_,

Support for Silverlight has been removed in Microsoft Edge. But Microsoft continues to support Silverlight and Silverlight out-of-browser apps can continues to use it. Silverlight will also continue to be supported in IE 11. Please read below blog from Microsoft Edge Team.
    http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/07/02/moving-to-html5-premium-media/

You also can post your suggestion to the user voice forum.
    https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/285214-microsoft-edge/suggestions/7385263-silverlight

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:15 AM
  • Edge is a new browser.

They didn't so much decide to remove Silverlight support as not include it in the first place.

Amongst other aspects of this, SL relies on ActiveX technology and MS took the decision not  to provide ActiveX capability in Edge.

The idea is that this new browser will be much faster now it doesn't have so much functionality in it.

I think it's very unlikely MS will include Silverlight or ActiveX support in Edge.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:27 AM
  • I go to look at the help videos on Windows 10 to  get a hand with recovering old files from 8 on a USB drive and to my surprise all the videos are in Silverlight on the Edge browser. That took some real thinking to screw that up.
    Friday, August 14, 2015 6:57 PM
  • This will mean that IE will either be phased out or future versions of IE won't support Silverlight.  The idea that a markup language and a primitive language like JavaScript can replace Silverlight is ridiculous.  How foolish organizations that developed using Silverlight now look.  Furthermore, our recent installations of Windows 10 crashes daily.  As a result, we are now moving away from Microsoft products completely and are installing Linux operating systems and are going strictly Java software development.
    Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:13 PM
  • Right now, Silverlight doesnt work with Edge. But you can still using Silverlight if you open it with IE11
    • Proposed as answer by shirivo Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:53 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by shirivo Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:54 AM
    • Proposed as answer by horathor Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:54 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:53 AM
  • Yes, this is another case where Microsoft provides a great technology only to give up on it when folks like Google and Apple so arrogantly poo-poo everything Microsoft does.  Silverlight is the only decent technology for recording audio on the web, among other things, so my website will be greatly affected by this move.  HTML 5's lack of support for recording audio has been stagnant for years (not to mention the lack of consistency in playing back audio--different file formats for different browsers?  Insane!).  Mono seems to have stagnated too.  I cannot understand why Microsoft would create a great technology like Silverlight, and then not implement it for all major platforms.  I hope .Net Core will change this.  Will there be a replacement for Silverlight?

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Yep. No question I am reluctant to dive into Microsoft tech when it keeps changing.  IE but now Edge. Silverlight effectively abandoned. Even MSN changed to Bing.  The continual strategy changes, along with forced Windows upgrades is not good.
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:39 PM