none
Azure backup or disk snapshot is better option for backup RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello,

I am new to the Azure cloud and have a few questions regarding the backup solution. 

1. Azure backup and disk snapshot price are based on storage size? if yes I can see the disk snapshot size is exactly  same as the disk but the azure backup size is much lesser, I hope this is correct?

2. I want to create VM backup for 7 days and after 7 days the first backup has to be deleted. Also, I want, only full backup for this VM then what will be the backup policy?

Regards
    Friday, December 6, 2019 4:27 AM

All replies

• Can somebody help me on this?
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:16 AM
  • 1. In case of VM with unmanaged disks, snapshot is incremental and backup cost would be almost the same. However, in case of VM with managed disks, snapshot is full. Hence the backup cost is less and the snapshot is expensive.

2. By default, Azure backup takes full backup for the first time and subsequent backups are incremental in nature. You cannot schedule a policy to backup full VM every day.

Reference link - Azure backup architecture

Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:20 PM
  • Hi Sadiqh,

Thanks for the update. Could you please let me know what will be the policy if I want a VM backup for 7 days and after 7 days the first backup (old) has to be deleted.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Configure only a daily backup with 7 days retention. This should suffice your requirement.

Friday, December 27, 2019 9:32 AM