none
Best way to upgrade from SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are writing a custom application which upgrades SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2017. If SQL Server 2012 is with Standard edition and customer wants to have SQL Server 2017 Enterprise edition - Which approach is most appropriate ?

1. upgrade SQL 2012 to END then upgrade to SQL 2017 or 
    2. Upgrade SQL 2012 to 2017 then upgrade from STD edition to ENT

Currently first approach is being implemented but in my knowledge 2nd approach is more suitable as it requires ENT license just for new server. 

Appreciate your insight and suggestions. Thank you. 

• Moved by Tom Phillips Monday, June 25, 2018 10:59 AM Upgrade question
    Monday, June 25, 2018 7:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can directly upgrade to SQL Server 217 enterprise, the upgrades have become seamless with increasing builds. You need to make sure you run Database Migration Assistant before you do anything.

Please also go through Breaking changes in SQL Server 2017, this will help you with what could possibly go wrong. I would prefer in place upgarde

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, June 25, 2018 7:28 AM
  • You can directly upgrade to SQL Server 217 enterprise, the upgrades have become seamless with increasing builds. You need to make sure you run Database Migration Assistant before you do anything.

My TechNet Wiki Articles
    MVP

Thank you Shanky !

Does it mean based on product key provided during upgrade SQL Server would determine if it needs to do edition upgrade apart from version upgrade ? 

Appreciate your support. Thank you.

Monday, June 25, 2018 7:32 AM

My TechNet Wiki Articles
    MVP

Thank you Shanky !

Does it mean based on product key provided during upgrade SQL Server would determine if it needs to do edition upgrade apart from version upgrade ? 

Appreciate your support. Thank you.

You would be having different binaries/installable for standard and enterprise so depending on what you choose the upgrade would do it accordingly

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, June 25, 2018 7:50 AM
  • You would be having different binaries/installable for standard and enterprise so depending on what you choose the upgrade would do it accordingly

I was under impression that Microsoft has just one set of binary and same is used to install various editions of SQL Server depending on product key. 

Please correct me if required. Thank you. 

Monday, June 25, 2018 10:16 AM
  • You would be having different binaries/installable for standard and enterprise so depending on what you choose the upgrade would do it accordingly

I was under impression that Microsoft has just one set of binary and same is used to install various editions of SQL Server depending on product key. 

Please correct me if required. Thank you. 

That may be correct I am not sure, But when I use my MVP subscription to download SQL Server files I see different files for various editions. What you are referring is when evaluation edition is used in that case during upgrade you just need to add key for enterprise or standard. Anyway this should not hamper your upgrade. Even if upgrade does version and edition upgrade it is supported 

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, June 25, 2018 10:30 AM
  • Thank you for your time !

Marked one of ur response as answer......

Monday, June 25, 2018 10:45 AM
  • Thank you for your time !

Marked one of ur response as answer......

Thanks for closing the thread by marking answer

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, June 25, 2018 10:48 AM